Notices

Thread: Vague moany question !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yes interesting. It was only a little out and I'd done it a couple of weeks before which is partly why I let them do it as I was surprised it was that worthy of a mention. They tightened it a bit more than I did, I'm a little nervous as I overtightened the chain on an Africa Twin years ago and had a major engine/gearbox failure soon after (and also someone I trust told me on the xr it is better to leave a little slack). Mechanic said it was unrelated but I've always assumed he was saving me from self flagellation! Anyway back to the point I agree that a service, especially a dealer service, is a checklist of specific tasks and that if it's not on the list you probably have to pay extra but I just assume that basic tasks like that are included (frankly I'm quite lazy and often let the chain lubing go a couple of weeks before the service as well 'knowing' it's about to get a proper looking after. Not to do that is not an all round service to me but that's not to say they should do it for free and I guess someone who wouldn't think if leaving it to the mechanic would be annoyed to be paying for something they didn't want.

I suppose at the end of the day I assume when I take it to a good mechanic they are looking everything over and doing whats's needed and when it's so specific to the checkboxes I lose confidence that that is happening (but even that is probably unfair as they gave me pretty precise measurements of disks and pads etc). Also I kind of hope to see a good reason for the dealership prices when I do go to a dealership and this shouts lack of customer care to me (not throwing in a 5 minute job). Anyway I wouldn't not take it to them ever again but I wouldn't bother using them for a standard annual again (and to be clear WR1633 I don't leave it until the annual service, but I'm commuting at the moment so probably need to check every couple of weeks and let it slide for a couple of weeks as I had the service coming up. Accept the point though, which is partly why I asked the question to see what other people thought)

Diamond Member
    I'm with the majority here Ben, ten minutes at tops... so £168 per hour! That's harsh, even for BMW.

You should have taken it to SIMPSONS OF WESTBURY, they only charge £25.00 (obviously plus waste, environmental charge and VAT) ;-)