Notices

Thread: Stutttterrriiiinng

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by GezTheHealer View Post
    Not ridden my bike in a while, perhaps its getting back used to it, but under 4000rpm there's a noticeable delay/lag/stuttering even if I give it a decent amount of throttle. Upshot is I can't pull away as quick as I'm used to unless I slip the clutch and rev a bit higher. Over 4000rpm it seems fine. I have had about half a tank of fuel in it, probably some as old as November, the rest around January, so it has been over a month or so. I'm thinking it might be stale fuel doing this. Seemed Ok this morning, only noticed it in the afternoon after getting a minor service (oil). But the tank wasn't off, so unlikely a pinched fuel line.
    I only get the stuttering under load, it rev's freely if in neutral. Maybe the cold weather and mix with old fuel?
    Anyway I've put some Redex in the tank for the time being and will fill it up to full with newer fuel to see if that helps.

Thinking otherwise could be sparkplugs maybe. Looking online someones suggests IACV hoses, though IDLE seems smooth and fine.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks.
    more than likely the fuel as already said, with this modern stuff the ethanol evaporates, not like the good ol stuff - 4 star leaded, that used to last years before it went a bit funny if it did you just top it up with number 7 paint thinner
    once you fill it up I reckon you will notice it getting better after a few miles
    If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It

Cheers all, I'll check the breather, and mix in some newer fuel and try a bit of an italian tune up and see if I have any joy. It would be nice if the redex helped it out. It didn't have an air filter, only an oil filter so I don't think they even had the tank off. Fuel filter sounds like a good place to look. I may just not be used to it and labouring the engine, but I don't remember it riding like this.

Thanks for all the pointers guys, and all the steps WR6133. I'll let you know how I get on.

Good luck
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

You just had the tank off for painting , and to your knowledge it ran well before that . The odds are something has been upset . Is there a little 8mm spigot that comes down out of your tank near where the fuel supply line goes into your pump assembly , this has a rubber pipe connected to it and acts as a breather . Maybe that got pinched or kinked . The electrical sender connection not inserted properly or maybe has some s***e in it .you could also check the hoses that connect to your manifold/throttle bodies . I had the tank off recently and upset one of those hoses and the engine management light came on . The bike wasn't running poorly , but it will if you displace one of those hoses Also a lot of Triumphs have the ignition coil unit fixed into a cradle which bolts to the under side of the frame member that the tank sits on , maybe one of the terminals was nudged . Hope you get it sorted soon .
    Last edited by DC; 15-03-19 at 10:00 AM.

Cheers all, I checked the breather holes and blowing through them they were full of fuel, probably from tipping upside down to empty. I’ve mixed in some new fuel and the redex, it still stutters a little between 1000-3000rpm, but there’s no check engine light and it’s revving freely when out of gear. I reckon I’m labouring it, can’t expect it to have the same amount of torque as my 2.0 diesel at 1500rpm and I’m likely a little rusty. Being a bit more gentle on the throttle and recognising where the powerband is has helped. being in the right gear also, I’ve just been out for a 20mile ride and getting used to it again. A bit of practice riding round town has helped. Looking forward to Haynes tomorrow

Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by GezTheHealer View Post
    ..... Looking forward to Haynes tomorrow ...
    I've cancelled the Haynes run Gez, sorry.

Good that you've cured the bikes ill's.
    Everything else is shyte

oh ok, no mind, I can find some pinball destination to ride to I expect...