Notices

Thread: Stutttterrriiiinng

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You just had the tank off for painting , and to your knowledge it ran well before that . The odds are something has been upset . Is there a little 8mm spigot that comes down out of your tank near where the fuel supply line goes into your pump assembly , this has a rubber pipe connected to it and acts as a breather . Maybe that got pinched or kinked . The electrical sender connection not inserted properly or maybe has some s***e in it .you could also check the hoses that connect to your manifold/throttle bodies . I had the tank off recently and upset one of those hoses and the engine management light came on . The bike wasn't running poorly , but it will if you displace one of those hoses Also a lot of Triumphs have the ignition coil unit fixed into a cradle which bolts to the under side of the frame member that the tank sits on , maybe one of the terminals was nudged . Hope you get it sorted soon .
    Last edited by DC; 15-03-19 at 11:00 AM.

Cheers all, I checked the breather holes and blowing through them they were full of fuel, probably from tipping upside down to empty. I’ve mixed in some new fuel and the redex, it still stutters a little between 1000-3000rpm, but there’s no check engine light and it’s revving freely when out of gear. I reckon I’m labouring it, can’t expect it to have the same amount of torque as my 2.0 diesel at 1500rpm and I’m likely a little rusty. Being a bit more gentle on the throttle and recognising where the powerband is has helped. being in the right gear also, I’ve just been out for a 20mile ride and getting used to it again. A bit of practice riding round town has helped. Looking forward to Haynes tomorrow

Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by GezTheHealer View Post
    ..... Looking forward to Haynes tomorrow ...
    I've cancelled the Haynes run Gez, sorry.

Good that you've cured the bikes ill's.
    Everything else is shyte

oh ok, no mind, I can find some pinball destination to ride to I expect...

jeeez luke it's gonna be f f f freezing tomorrow, say hi to those brass monkeys
    If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It

Quote Originally Posted by Badger-Roy View Post
    Id say it sounds like old petrol.
    When I park a bike up I fill the tank to full to avoid condensation/rust inside tank, then when I start using it again I drain 2/3rds of the petrol out and refill with fresh then use the old petrol mixed with new each time I fill up.
    Try topping of the tank with fresh petrol then going for a lively ride (whilst remembering your likely to be abit rusty yourself from not riding for a while).
    The injectors could be gummed up but I'd say it's unlikely after just a few months parked up.
    Personally though I wouldn't expect petrol to go stale to the point of being noticeable after just a couple of months, yes it'd be past it's best but should still be useable.
    Dunno where you fuel up and Iv no evidence of this but iv been told/read that the reason supermarket garages can sell petrol cheaper than Esso etc who they buy it from them in the 1st place is they buy it at knock down prices as they buy older/stale petrol, if that's a fact and you fuelled up with it then the petrol in your tank could be older than you think.

I do exactly the same fill the tank for storage over the winter, finally managed to get the bike out today after not being run since October last year. Bike fired up and ran ok, although like others have said like to get fresh fuel in ASAP. Hopefully it will get sorted with fresh fuel and some good run outs.

Cheers, it was much lower than I thought: put a tenner in the tank and it seems fine, bit of getting used to it again I think.

Looking forward to a ride out!