Notices

Thread: SMIDSY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. SMIDSY 
    Had my first ride of the year a couple of weeks ago and had 3 cars either pull across in front of me or not yield at a roundabout.
    Bloody annoying but I put it down to people not expecting to see bikes on the road etc...
    Last week in the van I had 3 cars pull out on me 1 of which then brake checked me for being too close. (She pulled out right in front of me on the A420. I was doing 50mph and she sat at 30)
    In all the incidents there was nothing behind me. If they'd waited 10 seconds they would've had a clear road to pull onto.
    Both my van and bike have daytime lights and the visability was perfect.
    This has always been a problem but does anyone else think it's getting worse?

hmmmmm I'm one of those old fashioned year round riders and not noticed it worse (or better) however I do try to avoid towns and built areas as much as possible. Out in the countrside it's easy to assume no one has seen you as it's almost definitely going to be correct ; )
    Not sure about people not used to seeing bikes about, for sure there will bound to be a few more now 'the season' is starting but there has usually been a decent smattering amount of bikes about through the Winter, or at least on the days I have been out. Even this Sunday which was pretty rough I saw at least half dozen bikes on the 70 mile loop I did out Dorchester/Shaftesbury way.

Platinum Member
    Can't say it's getting any worse but certainly not getting any better.
    I ride all year round so don't tend to get back on a bike when the sun comes back out all rusty and thinking like a car driver.
    every time I get on my bike I go into the mindset that every bugger out there is going to attempt to murder me.

Chatterbox
    You're having a lively few weeks 'Builders,

Crikey ....
    Everything else is shyte

Quote Originally Posted by Badger-Roy View Post
    every time I get on my bike I go into the mindset that every bugger out there is going to attempt to murder me.
    I do the same
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Yeah, it's been eventful. Think I'll stay in for a while.

SMIDSY ...... Don't rely fully on the observational skills and behaviour of other road users for your own personal safety whilst riding .

Not having a dig here , just find this information invaluable regarding the relationship between the human brain and the eyes .

Seen that before, very interesting and well worth watching
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    Seen that before, very interesting and well worth watching
    Quite an eye opener .

some new stuff in there for me but i have always ridden like A - i have not been seen, B - everyone is an idiot, C - riders & drivers forget to use their mirrors, D - never go into a bend that you can only see part way through at speed ( yeah i know all about vanishing points etc) but nothing will prepare you for that dead cow in the road or almost stationary vicious ugly farming machinery that has just pulled out of a side track. A lesson i learned a looong time ago and is forever in the back of my mind

I did learn something new the other day though and that is that unless a national speed limit multilane carriageway has a solid divider then it is a "60" mph road.

back to the point though, i do believe pulling out/waiting etc is getting worse, drivers and increasingly bikers seem to have this increasing air of self intitlement/importance when it comes to giving way, lane discipline, MGIF (must get in front) etc hence what the OP said. unfortunately it all ends badly when self entitled driver mets self entitled biker
    If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It