Notices

Thread: Logbook advice

1. Logbook advice 
    Platinum Member
    Iv seen an old moped that's for sale for peanuts and I'm thinking of buying it to restore, problem is the owner has no v5 logbook and no idea what the number plate is. Can I get a replacement v5 logbook using just the VIN and engine number and if so how?
    Thanks for any and all advice

Quote Originally Posted by Badger-Roy View Post
    Iv seen an old moped that's for sale for peanuts and I'm thinking of buying it to restore, problem is the owner has no v5 logbook and no idea what the number plate is. Can I get a replacement v5 logbook using just the VIN and engine number and if so how?
    Thanks for any and all advice
    The only info i can find is this: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-log-book
    it looks like it will cost you though, once they have sent you the new V5 it should have the Reg number
    good luck with DVLA they are known to be pedantic to the extreme
    If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev_P View Post
    The only info i can find is this: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-log-book
    it looks like it will cost you though, once they have sent you the new V5 it should have the Reg number
    good luck with DVLA they are known to be pedantic to the extreme
    I did look at that but the 1st question on the form is what is the vehicle registration number.
    DVLA seem to go out of their way to be a pain in the arris.
    I genuinely wonder how many perfectly usable classics are rotting away in garages just because it's so difficult to get the registration details from DVLA.

If it has not been txd for ages (1985 I think) it can be registered as a 'new' vehicle.

Telephone DVLA

Quote Originally Posted by Badger-Roy View Post
    I did look at that but the 1st question on the form is what is the vehicle registration number.
    DVLA seem to go out of their way to be a pain in the arris.
    I genuinely wonder how many perfectly usable classics are rotting away in garages just because it's so difficult to get the registration details from DVLA.
    I think I would just put on a side note to that question as not available as not on vehicle, together with a covering letter. quickest option to check would be a phone call but no doubt you will be in a non existant queue
    If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It

Platinum Member
    After speaking to a DVLA muppet today (44 mins on hold to speak to a bloke who didn't have a clue about what I wanted)) iv just decided to give that bike a miss and find one with a logbook as it's a total arse-ache finding out the original number plate.
    It would need a re-registration and probably go onto a q plate plus will cost in excess of £100. It's daft cause if they actually did their job and put the VIN into the computer the original number plate would no doubt be there.
    shame as the little bike had promise.

If the bike is in better than expected condition for age/mileage can you get hold of a frame at a reasonable cost?

To the law the "bike" is the frame, so if you could get a frame with a V5 you can just move the parts over.

Try this guy on facebook, vin to reg £5 he says

https://www.facebook.com/andersond92...zCgjl8&fref=nf
    I only have one vice…I lie.