Notices

Thread: Rider down!......... Who cares?

1. Rider down!......... Who cares? 
    Sat at the lights at 5 ways on the Bradford road I watch as a cbf125 low sides as it turns right.
    I leap out of the van to help the rider to the side of the road and as I turn to tell the other people who've jumped out of their cars how to best move the bike and collect debris I realise I'm on my own save for the steady stream of cars swerving around us trying to avoid eye contact.
    The rider was fine and the bike will live to ride another day but it would seem that the season of good will ended in December.

All desperate to get to work I suspect

Good job a biker will help a biker
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Platinum Member
    Well done for having the decency to help, people not giving a toss is sadly to common nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    All desperate to get to work I suspect

I ended up late and then got stuck in traffic.
    It's a good job he was on a bike and not a bicycle, skateboard, Segway, Sinclair c5 or walking because I definitely wouldn't have helped!

I was in the white T5 in the left lane at the lights, I turned left pulled over to see if he was OK after the lights changed. He was a bit shaken, lost his f/r indicator and scraped his new bike a bit, but otherwise he was all right. I don't know if he told you but he only just passed his CBT and I guess he was a bit over-confident, or just didn't know what to expect on a greasy surface with an abrupt camber change - he did throw it right at the lights with some enthusiasm and could have clipped the patch of gravel in the shadow of the bollard as well.

Well, it was his first crash, hopefully it won't put him off too much and he'll learn from it.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    I was in the white T5 in the left lane at the lights, I turned left pulled over to see if he was OK after the lights changed. He was a bit shaken, lost his f/r indicator and scraped his new bike a bit, but otherwise he was all right. I don't know if he told you but he only just passed his CBT and I guess he was a bit over-confident, or just didn't know what to expect on a greasy surface with an abrupt camber change - he did throw it right at the lights with some enthusiasm and could have clipped the patch of gravel in the shadow of the bollard as well.

Well, it was his first crash, hopefully it won't put him off too much and he'll learn from it.
    Yes I remember coming past you in the right lane.
    The F*#@er in the red Vauxhall at the front didn't even flinch as I walked in front of his car. Priorities I guess.
    TBF a woman in a Mini coming from Atworth did open her window and ask if he was ok.
    I tried talking to the lad and asked where he need to go and if he wanted me to call anyone but he just kept saying he was fine.
    I think he was in shock.
    So the only 2 people to actually stop were riders but this isn't about bikes. My wife is taking her full test this week and I'm nervous as hell about her having an accident. Knowing that most people won't even help if she does isn't helping.

Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    Always, no matter if im riding/driving/walking or loafing about with my thumb in my harris

Platinum Member
    I highsided my Blade on the Bridge centre roundabout in Chippenham, as i was bent over double winded, trying to pickup the bike, the only person who offered help was an OAP, everyone else just stood there, probably thinking what a dumb fcker i was.

Postscript: I saw the lad again at Fiveways this morning, he was waiting at the front of the queue and was a little more circumspect as he took the junction this time. Looking at the scenario of his prang yesterday I think it was the sharp camber change dropping the road surface away from him as he turned with a shade too much enthusiasm that was his undoing, I recall he lost the front very early in the manoeuvre. Still, he's back out there, if a shade more cautiously than before...
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

I felt pretty sorry for him but as long as he's ok and learned from it.
    It might have saved him from a bigger accident later on in life.