Notices

Thread: Brrr.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mines gleaming in the garage from when I last cleaned it (Nov?) and tucked it away. Out of action though, looking a bit bare as the tank and side panel off for a re-spray, though will ride to mini-moto's if the weathers nice and the painted parts are back by then, expect the re-spray to take a few weeks. We've had some nice clear (even if cold) days and I've been tempted to go out, but was trying to keep the tank empty so easy to take to the respray place. Still managed to spill a fair bit when emptying it but never mind, getting sorted now
    Bike in bits.png

Y’all should get into off-roading, Chicky and I have had two great days out on the lanes in the last week, no worrying about salt and slippery tarmac, just puddles and whoops and river crossings and mud! Lots of mud... splendid :-)
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Y’all should get into off-roading, Chicky and I have had two great days out on the lanes in the last week, no worrying about salt and slippery tarmac, just puddles and whoops and river crossings and mud! Lots of mud... splendid :-)
    I tried it, brought a ktm450 and it kept trying to kill me. Iv ridden some seriously fast road bikes but there's no comparison between a quick road bike and a quick crosser. Road bikes seem to like having you on their back whereas crossers are like untamed horses.
    I realised quite quickly it wasn't for me and sold the bike .

C'mon people, you're missing some of the best days to be riding a bike, roads are much quieter and it's been dry most of the time. Less polishing more riding ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Badger-Roy View Post
    I tried it, brought a ktm450 and it kept trying to kill me. Iv ridden some seriously fast road bikes but there's no comparison between a quick road bike and a quick crosser. Road bikes seem to like having you on their back whereas crossers are like untamed horses.
    I realised quite quickly it wasn't for me and sold the bike .
    Shame you didn't ask for advice before buying - For an off-road novice, a 450 is only OK if you like hospital food - doesn't matter how fast your road bike is, off-road is a different world entirely. I've raced, and ridden sports bikes on the road for 30 years, and after 16 years in the mud I still only ride a 250 4-stroke off-road - it's more than enough, and still better than I am. A&E departments see more than enough riders of big road bikes who figure that they should start on a 450 when they take up off-roading. Unless you're an absolute natural and immensely talented, starting on a 450 is a one-way ticket to a world of pain.... sounds like you didn't get hurt and sold it before you did - lucky escape.

Chicky's started off-roading on a CRF230, it's small, light and manageable, and we just fitted new tyres (important in muddy conditions) and she loves riding it. If it was a big tall lairy beast with too much power she'd just be put off and sell it. Spending every ride just trying to stay aboard the bike without sustaining injury and picking it up repeatedly is no fun. Why not have another go on something a little more modest to begin with?
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Shame you didn't ask for advice before buying - For an off-road novice, a 450 is only OK if you like hospital food - doesn't matter how fast your road bike is, off-road is a different world entirely. I've raced, and ridden sports bikes on the road for 30 years, and after 16 years in the mud I still only ride a 250 4-stroke off-road - it's more than enough, and still better than I am. A&E departments see more than enough riders of big road bikes who figure that they should start on a 450 when they take up off-roading. Unless you're an absolute natural and immensely talented, starting on a 450 is a one-way ticket to a world of pain.... sounds like you didn't get hurt and sold it before you did - lucky escape.

Chicky's started off-roading on a CRF230, it's small, light and manageable, and we just fitted new tyres (important in muddy conditions) and she loves riding it. If it was a big tall lairy beast with too much power she'd just be put off and sell it. Spending every ride just trying to stay aboard the bike without sustaining injury and picking it up repeatedly is no fun. Why not have another go on something a little more modest to begin with?
    I no doubt will at some point, to be honest I realised it was a whole different ball game within 15 mins of riding it. It's daft not to have one really as the tracks start op my front door .