Notices

Thread: tyres

1. tyres 
    hi all, I'm going to need new tyres soon, been looking on line for the best all weather tyres which has confused me more, i am on Michelin road pilot 3's at the moment and had nearly 8000k out of them, i have used Avon Storm and Bridgestone BT21 and didn't feel right in the wet with them, does anyone else ride all winter and what are you on

Very personal things, tyres. Depends on the bike, riding attitude and priorities..

I went from PR3s to PR4s when they came out. The new Road 5 wouldn't go on my bike as the overall diameter is greater than the 4s.

Latest Avon have good recs.

Get onto a few review sites and have a look.
    I only have one viceā€¦I lie.

Platinum Member
    I wear Bridgestone battlax BT023 on my triumph trophy, I ride it hard and get good mileage and good grip no matter the weather, iv never had reason to not trust them and touch wood it'll stay that way.
    I wore Michelin pilots in the past and they never felt right.
    As Larry said tyres are very personal things, ask a 100 riders their opinion on a single tyre and you will get a 101 different opinions on it.

TBH i tend not to ride in the wet if i can help it, done my share of all that however i lean (no pun intended) toward the battlax. i have always found them never to give me any brown underwear moments when conering and excellent wear when on straight runs due to the dual compound.
    tyres are and will always be a personal choice unfortunately they are not something you can have on free trial and swap them if not happy.
    if you have tried many tyres and found them all a bit off in the wet maybe its something to do with the bike, like wheels out of alignment which could only show up in the wet as it would allow the tyres to do their own thing on a slippery surface,
    i never trust the marks on the swingarm to set anything they are mostly always "out"

i have avons shod at the mo and not to keen they feel a bit vague and unassuring thru bends, could be i ride a heavy ol' girl.. but will be changing them next year for battlax's

Quote Originally Posted by theoldbaldone View Post
    hi all, I'm going to need new tyres soon, been looking on line for the best all weather tyres which has confused me more, i am on Michelin road pilot 3's at the moment and had nearly 8000k out of them, i have used Avon Storm and Bridgestone BT21 and didn't feel right in the wet with them, does anyone else ride all winter and what are you on

yes it is like getting a good jacket to fit each to their own, it is good to get likes and dislikes, i'm starting to change my riding style as it is getting bad out there, my bike is my only way of getting to work, thanks for the feed back all