Notices

Thread: End of an Era

1. End of an Era 
    This afternoon, my dearly beloved computer met it's end.

Running XP (SP3) for many hours p.d. for many years - I shall miss it.

Sudden catastrophic failure losing all my lovely bookmarks / favourites as well.

I've only one XP m/c left plus a Vista and 2 x W7.

Fired up a W7 (ex Dabz) which took 'all day' to update itself and my security bits.

I'm so antediluvian. Still miss the ten bob note.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

Do you still have windows 3.1 lol.... Windows XP and Vista, are you really still using them. End of support a while back, assume its not connected to the internet and you don't need security updates then.

Permanent internet connection for years until today with XP . Never used Vista, hate it.

Hate W7 as well, but it looks like I'm lumbered.

I started in computing when there were no screens, no mice, no internet.

32K m/c running 3 shifts with 40 staff. Wages, estimating and sales for 3 companies in the late 60's early 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Burbler View Post
    I started in computing when there were no screens, no mice, no internet.

32K m/c running 3 shifts with 40 staff. Wages, estimating and sales for 3 companies in the late 60's early 70's.
    Quite a few years ago then. Its funny the other half has a Windows 8 machine, but i had to load the classic shell view. She hates the Windows 8 view. We are all stuck in our ways i guess....lol

I am the some I have windows 10 set to look like windows 98, at work we are all being update to w10 but I do like w7 better, as for Vista I don't know what windows was thinking with that but still have a laptop with it on 🤯

Platinum Member
    I just hate windows full stop, I'm 100% iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerroy View Post
    I just hate windows full stop, I'm 100% iPad
    Have to agree only use Windows at work. At home its a MAC and iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldbaldone View Post
    I am the some I have windows 10 set to look like windows 98, at work we are all being update to w10 but I do like w7 better, as for Vista I don't know what windows was thinking with that but still have a laptop with it on 勞
    It's depend what are you doing at work with computer. At new place I have Win7 and I truly hate it :-(
    No modern PowerShell, No WSL (Windows Subsytem for Linux) with integrated bash and other tools needed for my daily job.
    Have to using Putty or Virtualbox with Linux on it to do my job. That's a bit painfull.
    Of coure I can't rebuild my work machine with Linux as the company policy, so I'm stuck with the Win7 for now.

I prefer some of the old software, the new Toshiba with win 8 cant get on with, now its free upgrade to win 10!!
    when I was chief marshal for motocross I bought two way radios (professional not cheapies) to use round the tracks. after a bit of talking I managed to get reprogramming kit from manufacturers so I could re programme as and when to avoid clashing with emergency services. this would have been win 98 period.
    the software provided was pre 3.1 so used dos. and anything with a pentium processor was too fast and had to scour the shops for a sx or slow dx processor.
    when I contacted supplier I asked them and they said they have to look for old systems when they need them. basically, it wasnt worth them reworking their software to use newer processors and systems.