Notices

Thread: carbs

1. carbs 
    Anyone had any experience in removing and cleaning carbs, and theres a slight problem as it tends to bog slightly when the throttle is turned, struggles to get up to full revs as if theres a fuel shortage. This is a single carb off road type of bike. Cheers wes

Has it been standing a while? Could be residue from old fuel gumming up the jets. A single carb is easy to strip (don't have to re-balance everything when it's re-assembled). It might be beneficial to find somewhere that could give it an ultrasonic cleaning. If it's a CV carb (flat-topped) it's worth taking the top off it and checking the rubber diaphragm for splits or perishing.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

Is it anything like this ? There's a note at the end of the video about visiting his channel for the carb strip down vid .

Last edited by DC; 03-09-18 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks Scotty, cant see anything DC?

How about this one ? Start at about 5.20

Last edited by DC; 03-09-18 at 08:20 PM.

what carb and what bike? 2 stroke or 4?
    friend of mine went racing an MBA125 at Silverstone, saw him in the paddock said he wasn't going to bother as it wouldn't rev over 14K!!
    when he got home he found the cables were the wrong way around, closing when should have been opening.
    one problem Ive found on the BSA single or Triumph twin was that after standing over winter, the ethanol in the fuel had corroded the jets, the brass was green when stripped.
    I know Steve at Piston Broke had a number of someone who strips and ultrasonic cleans carbs, Im in France at the moment so cant get to my tank.

this Ethenol issue is only going to get worse when E10 has been rolled out here, I am unsure on the year of manufacture but I think any vehicle pre 2005 is going to have a bad time as it disintergrates seals etc.
    In case anyone is not sure about the fuel the "E" number on the fuel info at the pump tells you how much Ethanol is in it so currently it's E5 (5% Ethanol)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelers View Post
    what carb and what bike? 2 stroke or 4?
    friend of mine went racing an MBA125 at Silverstone, saw him in the paddock said he wasn't going to bother as it wouldn't rev over 14K!!
    when he got home he found the cables were the wrong way around, closing when should have been opening.
    one problem Ive found on the BSA single or Triumph twin was that after standing over winter, the ethanol in the fuel had corroded the jets, the brass was green when stripped.
    I know Steve at Piston Broke had a number of someone who strips and ultrasonic cleans carbs, Im in France at the moment so cant get to my tank.

Its on a 110cc off road pit bike. I've had a chance to have a bit of a look at it tonight, and have found a small split in the fuel line beneath the filter. Ive replace the line now, but not had a chance to run it yet and see if there's any difference. New ones go for around £20, so its not the end of the world if I cant sort it out. thanks for all the advice