Notices

Thread: Moving from a 600cc to a 1000cc

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hybrid View

My first bike after 35 years of abstinence was a 12 y.o.Honda CB 500 S which cost £750.

It could do 110 mph, 0-60 just over 4 secs and (after putting on a +2 front sprocket) was happy all day at m-way speeds.

When I swapped for the 955i, whilst being bigger, heavier, faster etc. the transition was seamless. No problem whatsoever.

It's all in the ass and the right wrist.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

Addendum...dum, dum...Dum, Dum...

My very first ride on the yellow peril was from the seller, in S. Wales, back to Bristol.

High winds, horizontal rain and over the Severn Bridge. Baptism of fire, but it worked.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

As long as you can get on with riding a twin I would have thought it's a good move. BHP they are similar to a 750cc inline 4 (more torque than the 750 though), so a logical step up.

Prices seem really keen too. Bikes on ebay with under 20k miles on them asking £2000

I returned to biking back in 2011 taking the direct access route, first bike was an R6 then another R6, followed by an BMW S1000rr. Now on a KTM Supreduke 1290, biggest difference for me was moving from inline 4 to the V twin. SO much engine braking and throttle control in the bends on the V Twin.
    Like others have said you control the throttle, you will know when it feels right to move from 600 to 1000. The difference for me between the R6 and S1000rr, the 600 was more high revving and the S1000rr felt smoother for whats its worth.

One is not better than the other. My advice is think about what you want.

I love riding the 10bhp tiger cub through the lanes, far more fun than the Crosstourer. However for touring, I know which I would use!

One of the best fun rides I have done in recent years was riding the G650GS two up on the west bay run! Massively under powered but hilarious to ride and very involving.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"