Having ridden big sports bikes on the road for over 30 years I’m fairly qualified to say that they’re utterly pointless (but also amazing fun, until you get it wrong) - they are impractical and largely uncomfortable, and the worst thing about them is that their very ethos and purpose and their damned competence at it goad you into riding far too fast on the roads. It’s far too easy to end up travelling way more quickly than you should and it’s a proper honey trap for less experienced riders.
That said, it’s an itch that needs to be scratched and I indulged myself for over three decades and largely got away with it. Nowadays there’s the outlet of trackdays where one can ride fast in relative safety and if you’re set on getting a big sports bike I’d recommend heading there with it rather than the roads. For various reasons I can’t do sports bikes any more so I’ve moved to hooligan bikes and to be honest I’m glad of it - the fun happens at sub-100mph speeds so both life and licence are safer. Probably the most fun road bike you can buy is a Triumph Street Triple - give one a try. Just about equally fun is a KTM SuperDuke (one of which happens to be on the For Sale board at the moment, ahem), or if you want to go the Aprilia way maybe consider a Tuono.