Notices

Thread: Tailgating cars, not a common issue but..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Tailgating cars, not a common issue but.. 
    Only had this issue a few times with cars when on the bike, but wanted a second opinion on best steps to take.

On on the ride out on sunday after leaving Stratford-upon-Avon I was following trev_p with about a 2-second gap down a single lane a-road. The road was posted 50mph, we were doing 50mph and about in the middle of the group. Checking my mirrors an Audi had joined behind me and quickly closed the gap on me, tailgating. I don't really like this, prefer space front and back. I'd read online before you could slow down to a bit below the speed limit, (gently engine braking/pulling in the clutch, no big handfuls of brake) then give a burst of acceleration back into space. I've done this before and in the past the car closed the gap again, I repeated slow down/speed up and he got the message in the end and finally stayed back leaving me some space. Anyway yesterday this guy didn't get the message, third time he then overtook into the new space between me & trev, made a few rude gesture to me, to which I responded in disbelief, then he closed right in on Trev and continued to tailgate until he turned off around a quarter mile later. Not nice to see this jerk then right behind trev (who sat stoicly at a constant speed) ignoring this audi revving and braking just behind him.

What would you do?

There were signs all down the side of the road telling bikers to 'ride safe', I was waiting for one telling car drivers to not be tw*ts to point out to him, but they don't print them :/

Cheers - luke

**** You can't win against a car. ****

Moi, I indicate left, gradually slow down and (if necessary) stop. Let them go on their merry way.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

No you can't, that makes sense, I didn't want to validate his driving by pulling over, but moral high grounds no use if your run off the road.

Cheers.

Platinum Member
    Pull over stopping the car as well, give the car driver a good firm slap up the side of the head then ride on .

Seriously though since putting very visible cameras on the bike front AND back Iv found that 95% of cars give me a wide berth. Iv wrapped the cameras in the same hi-viz sticker tape used by the police so drivers can see their being recorded from a good distance away.
    However the 1st option also works really well, just don't ask me how I know .

P.S.

I've been known to get up onto the pavement as well, just in case they want to clip you on the way past.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

Platinum Member
    This is my left pannier. Day or night it's very visible to anyone behind.

I was at the back of the group yesterday and could see the car and thought whats going on, then i did see it overtake and slot back in. Its a difficult one to really know what to do, i tend to go with better to have the idiot in front of you than behind you. Then you could just do what Burbler said let them go on their merry way.

I'm with Burbler & Dazr on this, let the idiot pass.
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Yeah, makes sense. Cheers guys, you've altered my modus operandi to the 'Merry Way' Method for the future (as temping as the slap in the side of the head method sounds).

You can't educate pork ! Let them get on their way and get on with the rest of your day in peace .