Notices

Thread: Best way of selling a bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Best way of selling a bike 
    I want to sell one of my bikes - a modern superbike. Haven't sold one for quite a few years. Anyone out there successfully sold a bike recently? Where did you advertise for the successful sale? So many options now. I've sold other stuff on eBay recently but there are a lot of plonkers and chancers on there for vehicles. Any recent experience gratefully received.

Platinum Member
    I buy and sell a lot of bikes, personally I bite the bullet and sell on eBay and pay the extortionately high fees. The simple reason being in my experience if I advertise on gumtree/shpock etc then 9 out of 10 people are timewasters/bellends and dreamers where as on eBay iv found that "most" people that make contact are genuinely intrested in buying. I suspect the reason for this is on gumtree/shpock there is no way of seeing who the buyer is so the timewasters/bellends feel safe in playing silly buggers whereas with eBay once the auctions ended the seller gets the buyers name address and phone number.
    The other option depending on the bikes value is getting a local bike dealer to sell it via their shop for a set fee, this is handy for high value bikes as bike dealers are set up to offer finance on the bike whereas you won't be.

eBay, more genuine buyers less bellends.

I usually sell mine on Gumtree (because when I'm done they are worth sod all), but as Roy said lots of tossers/timewasters and human flotsam that want to trade you an Xbox and a bucket of staffie pups.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    eBay, more genuine buyers less bellends.

I usually sell mine on Gumtree (because when I'm done they are worth sod all), but as Roy said lots of tossers/timewasters and human flotsam that want to trade you an Xbox and a bucket of staffie pups.
    bucket of staffie pups? I'd probably go for that .

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerroy View Post
    bucket of staffie pups? I'd probably go for that .
    My favourite offers from Gumtree were

A Staffie cross pup for a Jinlun JL250-5 that I was asking £400 for.

A bodged GPZ305 for a working MOT'd ZZR I was asking £600 for.

The guy that wanted to send his "Agent" to collect the bike and deliver it to his super yacht next time it docked at Poole (bike was a £250 wreck), payment would be after loading at dock via western union.

And finally a dodgy sounding foreign guy that wanted me to ride the ZZR to a crappy part of London so he could give me double the price I was asking.

Listing on Gumtree is worth it for the amusement value.... though use a throwaway sim card.

gumtree!!
    selling leathers. question how tall are you? how much do you weigh?
    selling bikes. question, is it still available? whats your best price?

arrange a date and time then they don't turn up. you are then waiting either for apology or someone to nick the bike over night.

if its half decent you could always try a local dealer and see if they would sell on commission.

Diamond Member
    I always use Ebay, you have an absolutely massive readership.
    I start off really cheeky and if it doesn't go drop it after a few weeks depending on how soon I need to sell it.
    I'm always surprised how many I've sold in the past for "cheeky" money.
    I've not personally found hassle from selling on there, a couple of silly offers and the odd guy questioning the price but nothing any problem.
    Have you put your bike on here or our Facebook page ?
    G

+ 1 for Fleabay, I've sold a few bikes on it including a GSXR750Y (why oh why did I sell it????), an NC700X and Yamaha MT03 in recent years. I've also bought nearly of my bikes from ebay listings from £500 bangers to my one year Africa Twin last year and zero hassle as buyer or seller. Plenty of good pics, word the advert sensibly, be honest, ask a reasonable price, respond promptly to questions and you should be ok. Of course usual caveats on cash buyers, meeting places, etc but you can usually tell from the proposed buyer whether they sound ok or not.
    Good luck!

Platinum Member
    Personally I don't let anyone test ride before they put the full asking price in cash in my hand AND sign an agreement that they forfeit it if they damage the bike in anyway. I used to insist that they had full comp insurance until I found out this was pointless as if they crashed the insurance company would make the payout to them not me as the policy's in their name. The cash in my hand was learnt the hard way as a dick test rode my vf750 magna and thrashed the arse of it and damaged the engine and when I sold my runaround lexmoto 125 the kiddy fell of and scratched the side, to be fair he did still buy it (I was very angry and suspect he was abit scared though which may have helped).

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    GSXR750Y (why oh why did I sell it????)
    because K1 1000!