Notices

Thread: My new bike frightens me abit/alot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. My new bike frightens me abit/alot 
    Platinum Member
    So seeing as I live on Salisbury plain and the tracks start 200 yards from my drive I thought it's about time I brought a motocross bike, now Iv ridden some really quick bikes really quicky so despite having never even sitting on a motocross bike before I thinks to myself there's no point in buying a starter bike so brought a road legal KTM exc450, turns out going fast across a swampy field is a lot different to doing it on tarmac (who woulda thought). I took it out today for an hour or so for the 1st time and scared myself senseless, are they meant to be on one wheel 90% of the time? Is the arse end meant to constantly be trying to overtake the front wheel? Is it meant to take of every time it hits a mole hill? Am I meant to giggle uncontrollably like a schoolboy seeing a pair of boobs for the 1st time? I can honestly say i was frightened............ I love it, going out again tomorrow .
    Last edited by Badger-Roy; 22-03-18 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerroy View Post
    So seeing as I live on Salisbury plain and the tracks start 200 yards from my drive I thought it's about time I brought a motocross bike, now Iv ridden some really quick bikes really quicky so I thinks to myself there's no point in buying a starter bike so brought a road legal KTM exc450, turns out going fast across a swampy field is a lot different to doing it on tarmac (who woulda thought). I took it out today for an hour or so for the 1st time and scared myself senseless, are they meant to be on one wheel 90% of the time? Is the arse end meant to constantly be trying to overtake the front wheel? Is it meant to take of every time it hits a mole hill? Am I meant giggle uncontrollably like a schoolboy seeing a pair of boobs for the 1st time? I can honestly say i was frightened............ I love it, going out again tomorrow .
    Sounds like a proper blast Badger , Think we'll all need one of those with studs in the tyres if that white stuff keeps rearing it's head !

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    Sounds like a proper blast Badger , Think we'll all need one of those with studs in the tyres if that white stuff keeps rearing it's head !
    I think abit of me is actually hoping it snows so I can go out on it in the white stuff lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerroy View Post
    I think abit of me is actually hoping it snows so I can go out on it in the white stuff lol.
    You could well be in luck at Easter !

I’ve recently ventured off-road for the first time, albeit on a much lesser charge. Scared me too!

Not going out alone though, are you? (Sounding like yer mum!)

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
    I’ve recently ventured off-road for the first time, albeit on a much lesser charge. Scared me too!

Not going out alone though, are you? (Sounding like yer mum!)
    yeah on my lonesome but staying on well used tracks, not really sensible i admit but i never have been lol.

So, you bought a 450 for your first off-roader... you must obviously like hospital food!

Like Chicky said, going out alone is breaking one of the cardinal rules of off-roading, even a relatively innocuous low-speed off can do serious damage if you’re unlucky, and although they aren’t heavy, if you can’t get any leverage to pick it up you can end up pinned down by the bike, and it could be in nearly a foot of stinking water in a puddle (ahem.... that was me, the one day I broke the rule, sat there for ten minutes until a pair of walkers showed up and fortunately the girl was wearing wellies so she waded in and was able to lift the bike enough for me to wriggle out from beneath it....)
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    So, you bought a 450 for your first off-roader... you must obviously like hospital food!

Like Chicky said, going out alone is breaking one of the cardinal rules of off-roading, even a relatively innocuous low-speed off can do serious damage if you’re unlucky, and although they aren’t heavy, if you can’t get any leverage to pick it up you can end up pinned down by the bike, and it could be in nearly a foot of stinking water in a puddle (ahem.... that was me, the one day I broke the rule, sat there for ten minutes until a pair of walkers showed up and fortunately the girl was wearing wellies so she waded in and was able to lift the bike enough for me to wriggle out from beneath it....)
    My 1st big road bike after passing my test was a zzr1100, I don't do things by half lol. The problem is the hours I work are different to normal peoples so when I can go out their at work and visa versa. It's no substitute for having someone to help I admit but Iv got my IPhone with me and have got the ordnance survey app which has a function where you can summon help to a grid reference with one button press, not ideal but the best I can do. Sorry but I must admit visioning you sat under a bike in a puddle and being saved by a girl made me chuckle.

Sounds like you had a really good laugh, must admit have thought about it myself getting an off road bike for exactly the reason you want to ride in the snow. It won't matter what the weather is like rain or sunshine.
    Have fun and enjoy...

How may bike have you got now, you must have a double, double garage....
    Last edited by Dazr; 23-03-18 at 09:00 PM. Reason: update

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazr View Post
    Sounds like you had a really good laugh, must admit have thought about it myself getting an off road bike for exactly the reason you want to ride in the snow. It won't matter what the weather is like rain or sunshine.
    Have fun and enjoy...

How may bike have you got now, you must have a double, double garage....
    im down to five again now as sold the zzr1100 (and looking for another already as I miss it, that's twice iv done that now) Iv got my triumph trophy, the moto guzzi California, the ktm and the Kawasaki zl600 and a Honda cx500. Im abit of a hoarder lol.