Notices
 

Thread: Oil and filter change .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. Oil and filter change . 
    #1
    Diamond Member DC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,245
    Did an oil and filter change today , went to pick up some oil this morning and it came in a wine box ! . Press the cardboard tab down and pull out the spout . Really naff design , the spout isn't close enough to the edge of the box so when you tip back the container to slow down or stop filling the oil runs over the box . Ended up pulling the bag out of the box and pouring it straight from the bag after decanting 500ml into a measuring jug as you don't know how much is actually going into the engine . What a faff !

    They call it the Lube Cube and apparently it has Anti-Glug Technology ! The marketing dept really went to town with this one .

    I suppose it's a good idea as far as recycling goes though , cardboard box and a plastic bag . The packaging claims it's 98% recyclable

    Has anyone else come across these yet ? It's the first time I've seen it and think this will be common practice now the Chinese are no longer handling our plastic waste .

    Last edited by DC; 10-03-18 at 06:09 PM.
     
     

  2.  
    #2
    Platinum Member Trev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    nr Ringwood, Hants
    Posts
    1,026
    Yup I picked up three of those at the bike show in November for a very good price, have to say I usually decant into a measuring jug first as I like to know pretty accurately what I've put in my bikes as some aren't easy to check the level - the Enfield being particularly ridiculous.
     
     

  3.  
    #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Upavon
    Posts
    659
    Seems like a case of trying to reinvent the wheel to me. To be honest I buy my oil in a 20l container and decant it into a measuring jug as I need it. It's a bigger outlay but works out a fair bit cheaper in the long run. I do the same with wd40, 5L bottle for 19.99 rather than 1.99 per 100m can, basically works out you get 4l free .
     
     

  4.  
    #4
    Diamond Member DC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerroy View Post
    Seems like a case of trying to reinvent the wheel to me. To be honest I buy my oil in a 20l container and decant it into a measuring jug as I need it. It's a bigger outlay but works out a fair bit cheaper in the long run. I do the same with wd40, 5L bottle for 19.99 rather than 1.99 per 100m can, basically works out you get 4l free .
    What sort of oil are you using , and where are you managing to get it in 20 L containers ?
     
     

  5.  
    #5
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    243
    It does sound like a lot of hassle for anti-glug, i would have done the same as you decant into a jug. Its a job i need to do on my bike, was thinking should i have a run out on the bike first after winter hibernation then change or just change before starting.
     
     

  6.  
    #6
    Diamond Member DC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazr View Post
    It does sound like a lot of hassle for anti-glug, i would have done the same as you decant into a jug. Its a job i need to do on my bike, was thinking should i have a run out on the bike first after winter hibernation then change or just change before starting.
    Some reckon it's best to drain cold if the bike's been sat for a while , the logic being that more of the old oil will have worked it's way down to the sump . I prefer to run the bike for a few minutes , get it warmed up which gives everything inside a good rinse . let it cool a little , undo the drain plug and walk away for an hour .
     
     

  7.  
    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Upavon
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Cool View Post
    What sort of oil are you using , and where are you managing to get it in 20 L containers ?
    I buy this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20L-Semi-...item1c541ae782 it's cheap and cheerful but iv used it for years and not got a bad word to say about it. I was put on to it by the bloke that does work on my bikes, Its cheap enough that i do oil changes every 1500-2000 miles. Iv used it in bikes from a 125cc up to my zzr1100 (which gets ragged senseless) and it performs as good as any other gloop iv ever used.
     
     

  8.  
    #8
    Diamond Member DC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerroy View Post
    I buy this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20L-Semi-...item1c541ae782 it's cheap and cheerful but iv used it for years and not got a bad word to say about it. I was put on to it by the bloke that does work on my bikes, Its cheap enough that i do oil changes every 1500-2000 miles. Iv used it in bikes from a 125cc up to my zzr1100 (which gets ragged senseless) and it performs as good as any other gloop iv ever used.
    Cheers !
     
     

  9.  
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Upavon
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Cool View Post
    Cheers !
    👍
     
     

  10.  
    #10
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Cool View Post
    Some reckon it's best to drain cold if the bike's been sat for a while , the logic being that more of the old oil will have worked it's way down to the sump . I prefer to run the bike for a few minutes , get it warmed up which gives everything inside a good rinse . let it cool a little , undo the drain plug and walk away for an hour .
    Thanks will do the what you do as that makes sense, and like the idea of leaving it a good while like an hour. Thanks for the info.
     
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •