Notices

Thread: VIN advice

1. VIN advice 
    Platinum Member
    My Kawasaki zl600A was imported from the states in 1995 and states it was manufactured in 1988 (according to logbook)and is plated as E reg, however on the VIN plate on the bike it clearly says it's a 1986 bike and the age digit of the VIN (G) backs this up. Should I contact DVLA to have it changed or is it not worth the hassle?

I wouldn't bother with the DVLA. It could be a can of worms and you'd possibly end up having to retrace the history in the States, as the statements made at import were maybe incorrect. Possibly it hung around in a bike shop in the States and was registered in 1988? You just need to be upfront and make sure that you tell anyone who buys it. Making a false statement when selling something is a problem.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugsyB View Post
    I wouldn't bother with the DVLA. It could be a can of worms and you'd possibly end up having to retrace the history in the States, as the statements made at import were maybe incorrect. Possibly it hung around in a bike shop in the States and was registered in 1988? You just need to be upfront and make sure that you tell anyone who buys it. Making a false statement when selling something is a problem.
    Yeah I did suspect the can of worms thing. You could well be right with it hanging around for a while in a shop actually as I used to work for Vauxhall 20+ years ago and some large dealers brought a 20-30 cars at a time to get a big discount and registered them as and when they sold them, should have thought of that myself but the worry monster was befuddling my brain 😀. Cheers.👍

DVLA and accuracy on grey imports isn't worth bothering about. My GSXR K1 is an import first registration from new in Canada should put it on a 51 plate. DVLA gave it a Y plate but the V5 then says it's a K2 (2002) which would be an 02 plate (it's a K1 not K2 though).

ZZR400 (also a grey) had a similar level of farce on the V5.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    DVLA and accuracy on grey imports isn't worth bothering about. My GSXR K1 is an import first registration from new in Canada should put it on a 51 plate. DVLA gave it a Y plate but the V5 then says it's a K2 (2002) which would be an 02 plate (it's a K1 not K2 though).

ZZR400 (also a grey) had a similar level of farce on the V5.
    Hurts ya head don't not it lol. I think il just put the v5 back in the folder and forget about it 😏

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerroy View Post
    Hurts ya head don't not it lol. I think il just put the v5 back in the folder and forget about it 
    My thoughts entirely
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

This is a very useful thread, though it is pretty old. Thanks for sharing your opinions, guys! I'm thinking about buying a bike from the USA. To be honest, I was nerous and had doubts, but my friend persuaded me that this is a good choice. In order to avoid stolen bikes/cars, it is better to check the vin codes and the vehicles history. Today we have a great possibility to do this online. Personally I was lucky to find a comprehensive source that provided me with all necessary information.
    Last edited by Kevin; 25-06-20 at 10:36 AM.

Intriguing Kevin - what are you looking at buying, c'mon spill the beans just a little.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen