Notices

Thread: Haynes on line manuals

1. Haynes on line manuals 
    Banned
    I was looking for a Haynes for the new watercooled twin Triumphs and it appears that there is now an online option, which at a glance looks to be a 1 year subscription. It's about 2/3rds of the price of rrp for hardcopy but if you have to pay again after 1st year might not be so good of a deal, unless you have a great memory for torque settings and valve clearances.

Has anyone experienced the online version? I suppose it could add video clips which might be a benefit to staring at a black and white picture and trying to figure out quite what the f£*k they did there.

I get the impression that the online type services don't let you download on masse and save which is a pity but savvy business by the publisher.

Don't really know how the online version works , but if you could save and print it off , it would be very handy , but then you would have loads of A4 sheets that would need to be in a ring binder or similar . I'm into the book version and have two copies for a 2008 air cooled Bonneville , one for indoors that I can reference without it getting covered in S**T , and another copy that lives in the garage with the bike and don't mind it getting a bit lagged when I'm up to my elbows in it . I' also keep a small hardback notebook that I've written the most common Torque values in , so I can get that info without having to look through the Haynes .

If you want to spend some serious money , the Factory service manuals which are written by engineers who manufacture the bikes and can in some instances be more precise and specific than the Haynes .

One instance being , the cam lobe position for reading your clearance values that Haynes specifies is different to the Triumph Spec and gives you different values . I use the Haynes as a general guide and use the Triumph Rat Forum to iron out any anomalies , it's a wicked source of info .

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by njl View Post
    I was looking for a Haynes for the new watercooled twin Triumphs and it appears that there is now an online option, which at a glance looks to be a 1 year subscription. It's about 2/3rds of the price of rrp for hardcopy but if you have to pay again after 1st year might not be so good of a deal, unless you have a great memory for torque settings and valve clearances.

Has anyone experienced the online version? I suppose it could add video clips which might be a benefit to staring at a black and white picture and trying to figure out quite what the f£*k they did there.

I get the impression that the online type services don't let you download on masse and save which is a pity but savvy business by the publisher.
    Its £24.99 for a hard copy that you own till the end of days or £16.99 to borrow it for 1 year. It's a no brainier to me, hardcopy all the way. Or look on eBay and buy a used copy for a tenner, that's what I do but then I'm Scrooge mcduck .

I'm with Badgerroy on this.
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Agree would rather have hard copy, like said you own it. Like the idea "Daddy Cool" of having two copies, such a good idea.

Hard copy is a much better option

Quote Originally Posted by Dazr View Post
    Agree would rather have hard copy, like said you own it. Like the idea "Daddy Cool" of having two copies, such a good idea.

Banned
    I have to admit that having a clean and 'working' copy of the manual is pretty impressive. As I'm hard pushed to wash the bike more than 4 times a year I don't think I could get to that level.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by njl View Post
    I have to admit that having a clean and 'working' copy of the manual is pretty impressive. As I'm hard pushed to wash the bike more than 4 times a year I don't think I could get to that level.
    I wash mine every time I use them Lol and polish them weekly (if there used or not). It's not unheard of for me to drop the back wheel out to clean the swing arm 😀. Strangely the car only gets cleaned when things start growing on/in it. As for the Haynes iv got 1 copy for each bike (apart from the zl600A as 1 doesn't seem to exsist for that) but I photo copy what I need and take that out to the garage.