Notices

Thread: Honda cbf engine help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Honda cbf engine help 
    Hi all, about a month ago, I went through water above my foot pegs as it was my ownly route home. During the ride home my engine couldn’t cope going 60+ mph... it would loose revs till I went back down to gear 1 or 2 and then rebuild the revs again. It was as if I was in the wrong gear going up hill and it was struggling. (However on straight roads and downhills instead).
    When I got home, I left the bike to drain and dry out... since then the issue has continued. I replaced the battery thinking that would be the problem, yet it’s still continuing.
    Does anyone have any suggestions I can pass onto the bloke trying to find the issue with the bike.

Platinum Member
    Stating the obvious id start with the spark plugs, I had a bike ages ago that lived outside and after some particularly foul weather it ran like a sack of crap, turned out the rubber caps that seal the sparkplug hole wasn't sealing and the spark plug holes were half full of water, I sucked the water out with a Henry Hoover (yes I know Henry isn't a wet and dry but Iv yet to kill him using him as one) then took plugs out and cleaned them, let the leads dry and sprayed lotsa WD40 in and it run top notch after.
    Last edited by Badger-Roy; 03-02-18 at 08:49 AM.

I'd be looking through everything related to fueling (tank, lines, injector and the little breather thingy on the fuel cap) and ignition (coil, HT leads and plug). Be worth dumping the oil to check if it's contaminated with water but I would have thought water in the motor would do somewhat more terminal harm.

Platinum Member
    Could be wrong but hasn't the cbf got the little belly pan on that that helpfully scoops water up over the engine? Never understood having them them on the bike, I had an sv650 that had one and all it did was help drown the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerroy View Post
    Could be wrong but hasn't the cbf got the little belly pan on that that helpfully scoops water up over the engine? Never understood having them them on the bike, I had an sv650 that had one and all it did was help drown the engine.
    Ah but it looks fast, never mind if it potentially does more harm than good!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    Ah but it looks fast, never mind if it potentially does more harm than good!
    now this is true

Quote Originally Posted by Loopylibby View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions I can pass onto the bloke trying to find the issue with the bike.
    you have someone looking at it that doesn't know how to sort it????????????

whats the oil level like , whats the oil condition like,
    tbh, if you have water in the engine you may have blown a seal and leaking crankcase pressure.
    otherwise may have corrosion/rust on electric contacts

remove the alternator cover as the seal sometimes fails and lets in water which causes all sorts of issues also if i remember correctly the cbf has a mechanical rotor arm type ignition system which also sits under a cover have a check on this as well - if im wrong then it shows i dont know what i'm talking about

Mines a 2010 model and doesn’t have that, they’ve only introduced those on the newer models

If the bloke doesn’t get back to me by tomorrow, I’ll be asking for the bike back.
    Anyone have any suggestions as to other mechanics that are reliable???