Notices

Thread: Honda cbf engine help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Loopylibby View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions as to other mechanics that are reliable???
    Yourself..... seriously, even with no mechanical knowledge you can check through many of the things listed on this thread with nothing more than a basic toolkit and a £3 multimeter.

im still what they call a noob. I would most likely have broken my bike even more xD. Although im getting better at repairing parts on my bike... Because of the incident I had not so long ago with the wind blowing my bike over twice in one night, I'm now really paranoid when it gets the slightest bit of wind. So, earlier today, I moved it against my neighbours wall, the foot peg was facing towards the wall meaning I had to get between the two to put the bike on centre stand. As I went to go between, the bike fell away from me. I managed to hold it a quarter above the floor before dropping it.

I lost my bar end on a bike ride the other day, so I was in need of replacing it. Because I've now dropped the bike once again, ive damaged the plastic to the twist grip on the cbf... Another bloody thing to pay for. Eventually i'll learn how to not be stupid with the bike.

But i'll need to take a look in the morning and see if there is any further damage...

Did you get any resolution to the post-soaking misbehaviour in the end? Reading through this thread for the first time (sorry, a bit belated) a thought occurred to me - a number of us have Yamaha WR250Fs for green-laning, and Yamaha made an inexplicable engineering decision to route the carb breather hoses down beneath the engine, one of which is under vacuum from the carb and draws up water whenever you go through water in excess of about 25cm (10") in depth and promptly kills the engine... 25cm of water... and these are off-roaders *rolls eyes* Fortunately we have a fine work-around that involves re-routing the hoses and keeping them above the engine.
    I may be wrong, but your bike's symptoms and the pre-cursor event sound just like water being drawn in by a breather hose. Apologies for the rather rambling anecdote....
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loopylibby View Post
    im still what they call a noob. I would most likely have broken my bike even more xD. Although im getting better at repairing parts on my bike... Because of the incident I had not so long ago with the wind blowing my bike over twice in one night, I'm now really paranoid when it gets the slightest bit of wind. So, earlier today, I moved it against my neighbours wall, the foot peg was facing towards the wall meaning I had to get between the two to put the bike on centre stand. As I went to go between, the bike fell away from me. I managed to hold it a quarter above the floor before dropping it.

I lost my bar end on a bike ride the other day, so I was in need of replacing it. Because I've now dropped the bike once again, ive damaged the plastic to the twist grip on the cbf... Another bloody thing to pay for. Eventually i'll learn how to not be stupid with the bike.

But i'll need to take a look in the morning and see if there is any further damage...
    Are you using the side stand or the centre stand for it to keep blowing over. I'm guessing the side stand as personally I have never known the wind blow a bike of the centre stand.

Hi Libby ,
    If you're planning on keeping the bike for the foreseeable future , I'd highly recommend getting a Haynes service and repair manual . There are degrees of difficulty when undertaking any job on your bike , but if you start with basic service items , Brake pad replacement and caliper maintenance , oil and filter change , air filter inspection and renewal , spark plugs , chain maintenance .

You'll find after tackling the above tasks that your knowledge of the bike and your confidence will automatically increase and maybe you'll feel like attempting more complex jobs .

A lot of folk really underestimate the value of regular cleaning . Apart from the fact that the bike will look nice and last longer , it allows you to identify any loose , degrading or broken parts that might otherwise be overlooked .

Also , there are some helpful members on this forum ,but you'll probably get fairly general info as not many people on here own your specific bike . Joining a forum specific to your bike can be a really valuable resource . Check out the link , there should be a list of CBF 125 Forums . You can visit them as a guest and have a browse to see if there's the amount of relevant info that suits you and your bike and maybe join one or two .

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ho...hrome&ie=UTF-8

As far as your bike being blown over , If it lives outside in the same place all the time , you could get a couple of these .........

https://www.amazon.co.uk/M12-Eye-Bol...rawl+eye+bolts

Maybe your Dad , other family member or friend could drill a couple of holes and drop them in . Once they're inserted , the eyelets can be unscrewed and removed so they're not a trip hazard . Whenever strong winds are forecast screw in the eyelets and strap the bike down with a pair of these.......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polco-Kwikl...luggage+straps

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s far as your bike being blown over , If it lives outside in the same place all the time , you could get a couple of these .........

[URL
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/M12-Eye-Bolt-Shield-Anchor/dp/B01BYG3F8C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520941578&sr=8-1&keywords=m12+rawl+eye+bolts[/URL]

Maybe your Dad , other family member or friend could drill a couple of holes and drop them in . Once they're inserted , the eyelets can be unscrewed and removed so they're not a trip hazard . Whenever strong winds are forecast screw in the eyelets and strap the bike down with a pair of these.......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polco-Kwikl...luggage+straps
    That's actually a really good idea. 👍