Notices

Thread: Oil and filter change .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Oil and filter change . 
    Did an oil and filter change today , went to pick up some oil this morning and it came in a wine box ! . Press the cardboard tab down and pull out the spout . Really naff design , the spout isn't close enough to the edge of the box so when you tip back the container to slow down or stop filling the oil runs over the box . Ended up pulling the bag out of the box and pouring it straight from the bag after decanting 500ml into a measuring jug as you don't know how much is actually going into the engine . What a faff !

They call it the Lube Cube and apparently it has Anti-Glug Technology ! The marketing dept really went to town with this one .

I suppose it's a good idea as far as recycling goes though , cardboard box and a plastic bag . The packaging claims it's 98% recyclable

Has anyone else come across these yet ? It's the first time I've seen it and think this will be common practice now the Chinese are no longer handling our plastic waste .

Last edited by DC; 10-03-18 at 07:09 PM.

Yup I picked up three of those at the bike show in November for a very good price, have to say I usually decant into a measuring jug first as I like to know pretty accurately what I've put in my bikes as some aren't easy to check the level - the Enfield being particularly ridiculous.

Platinum Member
    Seems like a case of trying to reinvent the wheel to me. To be honest I buy my oil in a 20l container and decant it into a measuring jug as I need it. It's a bigger outlay but works out a fair bit cheaper in the long run. I do the same with wd40, 5L bottle for £19.99 rather than £1.99 per 100m can, basically works out you get 4l free .

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerroy View Post
    Seems like a case of trying to reinvent the wheel to me. To be honest I buy my oil in a 20l container and decant it into a measuring jug as I need it. It's a bigger outlay but works out a fair bit cheaper in the long run. I do the same with wd40, 5L bottle for £19.99 rather than £1.99 per 100m can, basically works out you get 4l free .
    What sort of oil are you using , and where are you managing to get it in 20 L containers ?

It does sound like a lot of hassle for anti-glug, i would have done the same as you decant into a jug. Its a job i need to do on my bike, was thinking should i have a run out on the bike first after winter hibernation then change or just change before starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazr View Post
    It does sound like a lot of hassle for anti-glug, i would have done the same as you decant into a jug. Its a job i need to do on my bike, was thinking should i have a run out on the bike first after winter hibernation then change or just change before starting.
    Some reckon it's best to drain cold if the bike's been sat for a while , the logic being that more of the old oil will have worked it's way down to the sump . I prefer to run the bike for a few minutes , get it warmed up which gives everything inside a good rinse . let it cool a little , undo the drain plug and walk away for an hour .

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Cool View Post
    What sort of oil are you using , and where are you managing to get it in 20 L containers ?
    I buy this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20L-Semi-...item1c541ae782 it's cheap and cheerful but iv used it for years and not got a bad word to say about it. I was put on to it by the bloke that does work on my bikes, Its cheap enough that i do oil changes every 1500-2000 miles. Iv used it in bikes from a 125cc up to my zzr1100 (which gets ragged senseless) and it performs as good as any other gloop iv ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerroy View Post
    I buy this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20L-Semi-...item1c541ae782 it's cheap and cheerful but iv used it for years and not got a bad word to say about it. I was put on to it by the bloke that does work on my bikes, Its cheap enough that i do oil changes every 1500-2000 miles. Iv used it in bikes from a 125cc up to my zzr1100 (which gets ragged senseless) and it performs as good as any other gloop iv ever used.
    Cheers !

Platinum Member
    Cheers !
    👍

Some reckon it's best to drain cold if the bike's been sat for a while , the logic being that more of the old oil will have worked it's way down to the sump . I prefer to run the bike for a few minutes , get it warmed up which gives everything inside a good rinse . let it cool a little , undo the drain plug and walk away for an hour .
    Thanks will do the what you do as that makes sense, and like the idea of leaving it a good while like an hour. Thanks for the info.