Notices

Thread: ABS plastic Tart Up ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. ABS plastic Tart Up ? 
    Just put the panniers back on the bike and one of them has a couple of deepish scuffs that I would like to try and " Improve " Anyone got any tried and tested secrets for re-surfacing ABS plastic ???

Platinum Member
    I "fixed" a broken pannier once by plastic welding the bits with a soldering iron then filled the scuffs etc with plastic flexible filler and sprayed it with plastic dashboard paint, came up really good but make sure the surface is scotchbrited well so the spray paint sticks to it. Worked for me but my panniers were fecked so had nothing to lose.

Only using a shrink wrap type sheet mate, you can buy it on the bay, fits well, just need to use a heat gun to apply it, can be a bit fiddly but worth a go.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Only using a shrink wrap type sheet mate, you can buy it on the bay, fits well, just need to use a heat gun to apply it, can be a bit fiddly but worth a go.
    This is better and easier than my idea and probably makes more sense for small scuffs

Nice one chaps , I did think about painting them but it's just the one box , and wasn't sure how well paint would take and long term chips and scrapes in painted plastic , will look into the heat shrink Wes . I'm in the garage at the mo with T cut , autosol , super resin polish and feckin' TOOTHPASTE !

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Cool View Post
    Nice one chaps , I did think about painting them but it's just the one box , and wasn't sure how well paint would take and long term chips and scrapes in painted plastic , will look into the heat shrink Wes . I'm in the garage at the mo with T cut , autosol , super resin polish and feckin' TOOTHPASTE !
    Years ago I got into caravanning and brought a caravan with very misted window, I polished half the windows with toothpaste and it worked but took about a week, later I found out about Autosol metal polish and did the same amount in about 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerroy View Post
    Years ago I got into caravanning and brought a caravan with very misted window, I polished half the windows with toothpaste and it worked but took about a week, later I found out about Autosol metal polish and did the same amount in about 2 hours.
    The toothpaste is pretty versatile stuff and cheap as you like at Lidl at 59p a tube !

Platinum Member
    The toothpaste is pretty versatile stuff and cheap as you like at Lidl at 59p a tube !
    Minty fresh as well

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerroy View Post
    Minty fresh as well
    The garage is smelling well sweet

Platinum Member
    The garage is smelling well sweet
    Mine smells like a garage forecourt, I knocked a full petrol can over last night and iv got carpet on the floor.