I get to ride and have ridden upto 1540cc's but the most fun had was on 250 mxers converted to supermoto. back in '75 I failed my test and passed car the following day, in '83 after getting married I retook the early CBT, probably a lot easier than nowadays. Ironically in the month of the test 3 close mates were killed on bikes. mother was always against bikes as her brother had been killed on a pushbike back in the thirties. they never gave me credit for passing car test first time as mum took 7 and dad 13, but they didn't start driving until in their 50's.Ive never ridden hard , got it out of my system on mx practice tracks and pre74 scrambles. In these past years, traffic has got heavier and road surface worse (petrol, insurance and road taxes higher).
my suggestion, not to rush it. take the next step on licence BUT get more training and also go out on rides with competent riders or forum rideouts, you will learn a lot easier.
this time of the year up to April is best on smaller bikes, both your perception and car drivers too busy with heaters, misting, radios, mobiles, satnavs etc to worry about you.
Finally, don't think you can out ride the bike, the best in the world do it each season and look at the majority of them, stay within your capabilities and stay safe.