Thread: Choice

1. Choice 
    Chatterbox
    Ooh dear,
    From a thread on Visordown.
    Which one would you choose?

Swooooon

I’m stuck between the Britten & my poster pin up NR 750
    Last edited by Last Train; 01-04-23 at 10:49 AM.
    Everything else is shyte

The Britten any day. The only incarnation of the NR750 that would get a look in is the #90 bike that ran in the experimental class at the Le Mans 24h in 1987 - until looking closely it was a carbon copy of the all-conquering factory RVF750s, including the Rothmans paint job. On track it was like watching a MotoGP bike out with the Moto2 field… The RVFs made a class-leading 135 or so bhp, and the NR was de-tuned to 156bhp for Endurance (from sprint trim of around 170bhp). I’ll see if I can find a photo of it. In the race it only lasted about 4 hours before abandoning with big end trouble, but it was great to see while it was there…
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

I'm a heathen as race bikes don't really do it for me but I would go for the NR more for what it represents than anything else ....... and it's nice to dream ; )

Was the NR750 the one with oval pistons?
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

That’s right Chris, pistons like spam tins, two conrods/piston (to control rocking), and 8 valves/cylinder.
    Basically Honda wanted to return to 500 GPs in the late 70s, but the boss man Soichiro hated 2 strokes so they tried to design a 4 stroke that could compete with the stinkwheels. They figured that the best engine configuration was a V8, but that would just be impractical in a bike so they decided to make a 4-cylinder V8 by incorporating the hardware of two cylinders into one. The NR500 debuted at Silverstone in 1979 (ironically the first GP I ever went to, but I had no idea about the Honda and was transfixed by the classic duel between Sheene and Roberts). Despite potential, the bike was never a success and the NR was dubbed “Never Ready”.
    The exciting 750 prototype raced in Japan and Australia I think, before its brief appearance at Le Mans, and the much-modified and downgraded NR750 road bike appeared 5 years later.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Toph View Post
    Was the NR750 the one with oval pistons?
    Rather !

One doest weaken at the knee…..

Last edited by Last Train; 06-04-23 at 06:50 PM.
    Everything else is shyte

Never seen anything like that before....very strange looking. First thing I think of is does it wear unevenly in the cylinder bore.
    Last edited by Dazr; 06-04-23 at 08:00 PM.