Notices

Thread: caveat emptor~ buyer beware

1. caveat emptor~ buyer beware 
    a word of caution when looking at changing bikes. being in the business we generally check the major problem areas when buying in a bike. ask plenty of questions and check any bills then test ride and you should be ok. if in doubt take someone with you to double check and ask questions when you are out test riding.
    BUT buyer beware.
    we did all this looking at a bike down just outside London. Seller liked his toys, and worked as an engineer in Heathrow. apparently only had the bike a couple of years and time for a change.
    well , it looked ok for a 2005 bike, all paperwork tied up, had a good chat with him and rode back fine. a year later and a bit of maintenance looking at a small amount of play in the rear end.
    a 2005 bike now appears to have a 2008 swing arm. difference was steel now cast ally.
    the small amount of free play materialised in the swing arm pivot bolt sitting on the needle roller bearings. the two spacers taking the 16mm pivot bolt up to the 22mm bearings were missing, hence the play. luckily my lathe has sorted the problem.
    the other major fault found was on the bottom of the fork leg with the pinch bolts. the dust/dirt was covering plastic metal on the sides. the pinch bolts were holding the front axle in tight.
    fork leg has now been replaced......whats next!!

whoa, what indeed!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

If you did not spot the problem, what chance have people like me got? . Richard
    It's not about my ears ... it's about my ride!

Thats really worrying and puts me off buying private. Sounds like you have the knowledge to sort things like that, still not great though.

pic of plastic metal
    Attached Images