Notices

Thread: After advice from someone who's done it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. After advice from someone who's done it 
    I'm thinking of taking a little trip to the Alps next year and hoping for some tips from others who've done it.

I don't think I can get away for more than a week and wondering if that's not long enough? I'm happy to do 400-500 miles a day in the UK so not worried about a long days riding.

Any other tips, passes to do and routes to take etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks

If it's July, check the Tour de France route and avoid.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

I did a trip in 2013 to Italy crossing the stelvio pass (overrated) and coming back via the Mont blanc tunnel (horrendously expensive)
    Did it in 11 days, including 3 days in mugello, averaging 250-300 miles a day. Our longest day was 450 miles.
    Started in France and crossed into Belgium then down through Germany and the black forest.
    Austria then crossed into Italy.
    Best roads were the B500 in Germany and the San Bernardino pass.

Thanks Wiltshire Builders I was starting to get the impression some of the passes are a little over-rated and are just a long slog. The San Bernardino pass looks a super option.

I'm glad I rode Stelvio but wasn't fun. It's far to tight for a sports bike and is all 1st and 2nd gear. There were times when 1st didn't seem low enough.
    The views were spectacular though.
    Accommodation wise I recommend these: https://www.logishotels.com/en/
    Better than a formula 1 but cheaper than a regular hotel.

A mate has just driven the route Napoleon and said it was amazing.

Been over a few times. In general make sure that you have some thermals. You may bake in the sun but when you're high in the alps it can get nippy. Weather can turn up the mountains.
    The passes like the stelvio are not "over rated!" It's an experience and naggery. It's part of the fun. Lovely view coming down the other side too.
    Sports bikes 2 up and gold wing on my tour did it fine! I did it on a ZZR ??? So it's not that bloody tight. If you can keep your bike upright going around Sainsburys car park without paddling your feet you will be fine!
    Anybody who can't should not travel out of there drive anyway!
    Lost a wallet and a jacket once in a hotel lobby and once at a services.. be careful.
    Always keep an emergency credit card in a pocket or place away from your wallet so you're not stranded.
    Don't forget to ride on right. You may joke but after a few days and tiredness pulling out of a lay-by and doing 100 yards on the wrong side isn't uncommon.
    See if you can do the B500 on the way through to Austrian alps.
    It's worth going via Belgium for some lovely roads once you get far enough SE on the motor ways. Should also stitch in the Mosel Route which is great.
    Don't avoid the Tour de France (that's ridiculous) road is only closed for an hour, grab a coffee and watch them wiz through.
    Last edited by shiftyblake; 18-09-17 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Typo

Platinum Member
    It has been 15 years since I toured the alps

The views are breath taking (if you love scenery) they are the best passes I have been over in Europe. Some passes can take about 20 miles get to the top. You will not be doing 500 miles a day on the passes.

If you buy a Michelin map they put the scenic routes in with green lines next to them, this is a fantastic resource I have used all over Europe. They might even have a sat nav app with this now (I still like my maps). Also there are probably lots of resources on the Internet where people have posted the routes, just copy one of them.

Shifty is correct you will need some decent gear for the passes (I just pack some good waterproofs and winter gloves) it gets bloody cold on the high passes,

Have done this a few times and always camped, I suspect I would use hotels these days. Like everywhere touristy there are lots of places to stay if you do not go peak season

If you pitch up somewhere for a few days you can go out and play with a luggage free bike, or you can move on every day on a loaded bike, There is no correct way of doing this. Try and tailor it to things you enjoy.

The main thing is to enjoy. You could do a two day run there two days back, then three touring the alps to get a taster (ready for next time)

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyblake View Post
    The passes like the stelvio are not "over rated!" It's an experience and naggery. It's part of the fun. Lovely view coming down the other side too.
    Sports bikes 2 up and gold wing on my tour did it fine! I did it on a ZZR ??? So it's not that bloody tight. If you can keep your bike upright going around Sainsburys car park without paddling your feet you will be fine!
    Anybody who can't should not travel out of there drive anyway!
    Lost a wallet and a jacket once in a hotel lobby and once at a services.. be careful.
    Anyone who loses 2 wallets and 2 jackets should not travel out of their driveway....... 🤣

Just got back from my first trip to the Nurburgring and the local roads are some of the best I've ever seen.
    Unfortunately I was in an M3 and not the bike.
    I did 2 laps of The Ring in the car which was enough to convince me that I'd never take the bike on there.

10. @wiltshirebuilders 
    Yea that’s true! Haha .. maybe I should lay off the post ride booze a little too, that might help
    Last edited by shiftyblake; 20-09-17 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Typo