Notices

Thread: Zzr1100 shaking its head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Zzr1100 shaking its head. 
    Platinum Member
    Hi, just picked up a lovely low mileage (22000) 1993 zzr1100D for peanuts. it goes like a stabbed rat. Its a lot of fun. What's not so much fun however is the vicious head shakeing under braking and if you take both hands of the bars, think bull riding and you get the idea. Tyres seem good if a bit old and no obvious clonking or movement in the forks or head. This is my 2nd zzr1100 and the other one didn't suffer from head shake at all.
    Any ideas before I drop it in the garage and part with my hard earned?
    cheers. Roy

Forks or rear wheel out of alignment ?

Platinum Member
    The forks seem ok (not that iv done much more the poke and shake them). The rear wheel is good possibility though as iv not looked at that at all apart from checking tire pressures. Il check that in the morning and give an update. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerroy View Post
    The forks seem ok (not that iv done much more the poke and shake them). The rear wheel is good possibility though as iv not looked at that at all apart from checking tire pressures. Il check that in the morning and give an update. cheers

do the wheels have the balancing weights fitted ?
    Check out this video ...........

https://youtu.be/pNEmOqY02EU

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Cool View Post
    do the wheels have the balancing weights fitted ?
    Check out this video ...........

https://youtu.be/pNEmOqY02EU
    Yes it has the balancing weights fitted. That's a good video thanks and watching that reminded me that in the paperwork that came with the bike was a receipt from a couple of months back for a set of fork seals. I wonder if the bloke I brought the bike from fitted them himself and buggered up the refitting of the forks. I think a day of checking everything on the bike is on the cards.

Are the handlebars lined up with the front wheel ? could be twisted forks.

Might also be the back wheel out of line.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

Platinum Member
    Yeah it all looks straight and the back wheel looks to be in line, in general the bike rides fine, its only if you brake hard or take both hands of the bars. Having now had a good check over the bike this morning there's nothing that jumps out at me as being wonky. Something I did notice though is the age of the tyres, front dated 2004 and the rear 1996. Could this affect it to this extent? Needless to say I'm getting new boots on it soonest.

Oooooo arrrrrrrr, a 17 year old tyre could be trouble, just like a 17 year old girl.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

It is possible that old , perished and unevenly or badly worn tyres , especially the front could cause a bit of a wobble on the front end . I had the same problem a year ago and the front tyre was definitely worn and perished .I put a new set of tyres on , but at the same time had the forks off to fit gaiters , fitted new handlebars and fairly hefty bar weights, the problem disappeared but as I'd done a few alterations I couldn't really isolate the real reason it was happening . To be honest I reckon half the issues we get with bikes are down to voodoo !

If you have twin discs on the front it might be worth considering sticky caliper pistons .
    Last edited by DC; 18-08-17 at 07:30 PM.

Headstock loose? Tyres?
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"