Notices

Thread: Honda cx500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Honda cx500 
    Platinum Member
    Hi iv just added a 1981 honda cx500 to my stable and I love it. It's big, heavy and solid. Only thing is the clutch slips like a bugger when the engines cold, id say for the 1st mile it slips bad, then for the next mile it gets better untill there's no slip at all. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Iv also got a 1981 Honda vf750magna which does much the same. Im new to older hondas so is this a common thing with them or am I just very unlucky in having two like it?
    Cheers. Roy

My old CX500 clutch never slipped. Don't have this bike anymore but I made a lot of miles in the saddle on it.
    It might be something simple, like regulation, or bit more expensive like old weak springs and wear clutch rings.
    As far as I remember clutch access is extreme easy, so eventually job should be not complicated.
    Also when yo have it check if you have leak from water pump seal - this is very common in CX and fix is pain in the neck ...

be careful with the cx, I had one les than5 years old and they suffered from big end failures, I test rode mine , agreed subject to a rattle on left side. turned out the garage had to replace big ends, rods, and pistons. even back in the day with a Honda trained mechanic it was a all day job to get the engine out.
    as for clutch slipping, what oil was used for last service? many people used oil designed for cars, this made clutches slip on bikes... hint, bikes run wet clutches cars run dry!!
    as Arek says, when were plates and springs changed. EBC do higher tension spring kits

Platinum Member
    Thanks for the replys, I'm not sure on the oil as it was serviced just before I brought it, il make that the 1st thing i do on both bikes. If not springs and plates will be next. Cheers
    Last edited by Badger-Roy; 05-07-17 at 05:31 PM.

It's not unknown for owners to become extra cost conscious and fill an older bike with car engine oil. Car oil contains friction modifiers that will interfere with a wet clutch and make it slip. First thing I'd do is change the oil and go from there.

Platinum Member
    Well, changed the oil on the cx today and the difference is amazing. 90% of the slipping has gone, I'm hoping the other 10% will go once I put a few more miles on it. I think il see about changing the vf750 magnas oil as well and fingers crossed that will be the same. Thanks again for the advice.

I agree with the comments above regarding using car oil, but you say that after two miles or so it is then fine. So what is it like if you let it warm up thoroughly before moving off? While the wrong oil would have an affect I'm not sure how that would change with distance ridden, which in my mind also rules out problems with the plates and springs as weak springs or worn plates would still be weak and worn when hot. Before ripping it apart I would want to check all the simple things first, what's the clutch cable like; is it sticking? Is there a shaft that goes through the casing to operate the clutch? This could be partially seized and freeing off as the casing warms up, it's a common problem on some older cars. Try to eliminate all the simple stuff first!
    Orange ones are faster, but red ones are more comfortable!

Platinum Member
    That's a fair point, I normally let them tick over for 3-4 minutes to warm but that's about it. Il try with the magna letting it get hot before ridden it and report back. I have to admit though that this is actually one of the things I enjoy about ridden old bikes,the constant fiddling. And them being so basic that even a goon like me with an old Haynes manual can "repair" them.

I came VERY close to buying one in my previous biking incarnation. Ended up with the 500T. Just luvvved the look of it.

hond.jpg
    I only have one viceā€¦I lie.

Platinum Member
    The 500t is a nice bike. Iv promised myself a cb750 when I find a good one at the right price. Iv got a real soft spot for the old hondas.