Notices

Thread: Need quick fix my bike

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If you can ride it to Tidworth this afternoon or early evening I can help you. Only issue is if I knock the spindle out and you do have a collapsed bearing I wouldn't really recommend putting it back together and riding it home (until you change the bearing).

Thanks a lot WR6133. I don't have yet replacement adjuster, and old even if move will not work anyway as should be.
    Parts ordered from ebay just now. Hopefully will be with me this Friday.
    Have a plan try today once more with bigger hammer :-) I've checked rear axle and looks like it's very solid piece of steel rod, so if I do not destroy thread, or do mushroom end nothing should happen to it.
    More likely will damage bearing instead.
    This evening round set 2 :-)

as I said last night, replace the large nut to within 6mm of arm and hit that, all you will do is flatten the self locking bit on the end so if anything a benefit., hopefully if it moves, back off nut another 6mm and do again, might have to do a third but will be moving by then.

Funny thing. Screwfix in Faringdon do not have hammers :-) At least the size I'm looking for. So operation have to wait till tomorrow, ordered one in Amazon next day delivery (btw, cheaper than Screwfix).

the worst one I ever had was one where I had to take out the swing arm and put the axle under a 2 ton press, eventually it went.
    on the opposite hand, I spent 4 hours with a customer and his Triumph 955, trying to get his eccentric axle cam (acts as a chain adjuster) to move. he tried, we tried. Triumph fabricated ally swing arms and put cast ally cams in with room for air and water to get in , including a run out for water the calcium built up from the water acted as cement. didn't like to charge him 4 hours for a 10 minute job, he did appreciate it . plenty of copperslip on re assembly.

Yeah. I've got hammer. But I can't hit hard enough to move axle. And please believe me I try hit it really hard,.
    So back to my first question. Do you know someone who can help me with this issue? Looks like I can't do that myself.
    Thanks

a possibility is to try vibration from an air gun but I presume you have a round head to the spindle with a hole across as opposed to a hexagon?

Nope, it is not rounded. It's actually size 22. Anyway don't have air gun, or other impact tool.
    And really don't want to spent money buying one (full air set with home compressor about £250, electric corded £70).
    If I know that I'll be working on the bikes more extensively, not only for myself, probably it will be good investment. But at this moment I don't have a plans for that.

I don't have a rattlegun but the offer stands if you have enough thread on the adjuster to get the nut back on then get it to Tidworth tomorrow afternoon/early evening and I can try to help.

After almost 2 weeks hassle with this problem, today I finished work on my bike.
    Spindle finally go out somehow - I mean lot of penetration stuff and hammering.
    New chain tension regulators. New bearings in rear wheel. A lot of grease when I assembly all parts back.
    Few new tools :-)
    Hopefully all will be OK now.

Thanks all you guys for help and advice.