Notices

Thread: Need quick fix my bike

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Are you with the bike now ?

No. Gave up for today, need rest before work tomorrow.

If you can't get the spindle out (to be clear by the spindle I mean the main axle going through the rear wheel) then that itself is an issue. It's either seized on to something or a bearing has collapsed in the wheel or sprocket carrier.

The way I've got seized spindles out before is plusgas, leave a while and then place a block of wood against the end of the spindle before beating it with a 4lb hammer.

Once the spindle is removed that entire chain adjuster block just slides out.

For Clarity

Remove the spindle marked by red arrow
    Slide out adjuster marked by yellow arrow

If the axle runs through a hole in the mounting bracket for the rear caliper , displace the caliper and that might help increase your chances of a bit of freeplay on the axle .

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    If you can't get the spindle out (to be clear by the spindle I mean the main axle going through the rear wheel) then that itself is an issue. It's either seized on to something or a bearing has collapsed in the wheel or sprocket carrier.

The way I've got seized spindles out before is plusgas, leave a while and then place a block of wood against the end of the spindle before beating it with a 4lb hammer.

Once the spindle is removed that entire chain adjuster block just slides out.

For Clarity

Remove the spindle marked by red arrow
    Slide out adjuster marked by yellow arrow
    I used something similar to plusgas, don't have that one specific at home.
    I don't think so that bearings are collapsed as I don't hear or feel any issues in the rear wheel.
    Have to try once more tomorrow with bigger hammer then, however I'm not a big fan using extensive force in the motorcycle parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Arek View Post
    Have to try once more tomorrow with bigger hammer then, however I'm not a big fan using extensive force in the motorcycle parts.
    Use a chunk of wood (held by someone) against the spindle. It'll stop you mushrooming it when you hit it.

Other things that can work are an impact driver on the end in the photo to try and shock it free, or if all else fails a bigger hammer (but really big hammers will require you remove the swingarm from the bike).

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    Use a chunk of wood (held by someone) against the spindle. It'll stop you mushrooming it when you hit it.

Other things that can work are an impact driver on the end in the photo to try and shock it free, or if all else fails a bigger hammer (but really big hammers will require you remove the swingarm from the bike).
    Yeah. I was thinking about impact driver, but I don't have one. And at this moment I'm not sure if I want to spend money to buy one.
    As I mentioned, try to move axle using brake bar today, but it not moved even for centimeter.
    Buy 4lb hammer will not be a big issue tomorrow (also don't have it, I'm really not big fan of force solutions ;-) ).
    Then we will see. Hopefully all penetration fluid I put today inside swingarm where the slider is, and on the axle do some job.

Now I can still ride, when I break something more, I probably can't do that anymore

I really hope not , but sounds like the bane of my life. the spindle is rusted into the bearings!!
    sounds like lack of maintainance previously.
    put the nut back on the spindle to within 6mm of done up. get a bolster hammer or short handled sledge hammer and hit it square on the nut.
    if it is stuck, chances are you will need new bearings anyway. they are only a fiver each.

impact driver wont work, you are only likely to catch the side of your hand and end up with a 'black mans pinch'.
    just make sure bike is safe when working on it as you dont want it falling over.
    just checking, will the whole lot move front to back? if the spindle runs through the rear caliper bracket use plenty of lube .
    work on it tommorrow, it will only go wrong if you keep trying tonight.

dont forget bar that runs from caliper mount to swing arm, may be holding it in place.
    Last edited by wheelers; 31-05-17 at 12:29 AM.

Nothing move, either side. back/ forward or spindle left/ right.
    And yes. I agree, looks like that bike had lack of maintenance before I bought it.
    Had similar situation with one bolts holding foot pegs. It was very hard to unscrew it.
    Probably bike was used in the winter before on salted roads and was washed very occasionally.
    So aluminum parts reacted with metal, and this is the result.