Notices

Thread: RoSPA or IAM

1. RoSPA or IAM 
    Thinking of doing an advanced qualification this year, because I have the time and fancy the challenges. Has anyone done either and if so would you recommend,or not, and why. Cheers

Either is all good. I am a Rospa gold holder and Will shortly tutor. I chose Rospa as I like the three year re-test feature plus the instructor was good. Getting a good instructor/tutor is important but getting on with the person who tutors you is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Davezthomas View Post
    Thinking of doing an advanced qualification this year, because I have the time and fancy the challenges. Has anyone done either and if so would you recommend,or not, and why. Cheers
    I've done both and got a huge amount out of both.

They basically teach you the same things although I found RoSPA seemed to put a bit more emphasis on 'making progress' aka getting a shift on.

I felt I got a little more out of RoSPA but that is possibly due to actually having done IAM first and eventually getting an absolutely excellent RoSPA advanced tutor.

I certainly echo what Shifty says about getting a good observer/tutor I went through several (not my fault) and the difference in how they ride, how they teach and how committed they are was huge. You do have to remember though they are all volunteers giving up their own time.

I procrastinated for a long time before finally deciding to go the RoSPA route, in the end more by chance than objective decision making! As said above both teach based on the same book. I too prefer the idea of a three year re-test (mine is due this year) also the re-test is free provided you remain a member of RoSPA and additional tuition is always available for the cost of tea and fuel for the tutor. I've not done the IAM training but I understand it is very similar.
    Orange ones are faster, but red ones are more comfortable!

How do you start the ball rolling on applying for one of these courses?
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

Quote Originally Posted by Toph View Post
    Not sure on ROSPA but for IAM just go into www.iamroadsmart.com/local-groups enter your postcode and it will come up with your local IAM motorcycle group. Contact them and go from there. Almost definitely you will be able to get a free (you may be asked to put a tenner for fuel) observed ride to give you a flavour.

Advanced rider course is currently £149 and covers membership for first year, all training and test when ready, only other cost is membership of your local group (mine is £22) and fuel for your observer and copious cups of tea

Wilts & Bath IAM group

www.wabam.moonfruit.com
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Thanks for the thoughts, and the rospa link is http://www.wiltshireroadar.co.uk/lea...how-do-i-join/

Quote Originally Posted by Toph View Post
    Both IAM and RoSPA Wiltshire groups offer taster sessions which you can do before you sign up. They are very relaxed, not hard sell at all just to give you an idea of what it's like.

IAM were doing them at the old Little Chef in Chippenham, and RoSPA do them at the Divine Cafe outside Calne. RoSPA call it SkillShare http://www.wiltshireroadar.co.uk/oth...ion/skillshare

They both do them once a month and you can just go along have a chat and go out for a ride with one of the observers (thats what IAM call the instructors) or tutors (RoSPA's name for the instructors).

I think they both start next month but if you give either a call they'll tell you. If not the dates will be on the websites soon I'm sure.

The first free taster session with WaBAM is on 12th March and then every second Sunday each month until the end of Summer. They are held at the old Little Chef north of Chippenham.