Notices

Thread: Not best pleased

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Not best pleased 
    Nice jaunt out today to Sidmouth to catch up with a few NC owners and try out my new, spectacularly expensive, Rukka Goretex Pro suit. Took a nice detour inland on the way back and found some nice roads, 160 miles all in, it rained most of the time, from light mist to moderate but nothing too hard. Took my jacket off when I got home and it had just started to let water in. My 7 year old HG suit, although leaking in torrential rain, would deffo not have leaked today.
    So, two weeks after buying it, I'm going to see how well the Rukka guarantee and returns policy works, a bit miffed to say the least!

That's weird isn't it? as you don't hear about problems much. I'm fairly sure a replacement would be fine. my trousers first leaked after 3 years, leaked in the front crutch area (it was definitely rain water ha ha) I washed them on a 40 and then low heat tumble dryer and that cured it.
    Last edited by shiftyblake; 11-12-16 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Typo

I have to be honest and say I'm not so supprised a few months ago (could be longer and probably is) I read a review in Ride magazine and during their tests the Rukka Goretex suit was shown to leak and at somewhere in the region of £1,100 they expected more as far cheaper kit performed somewhat better.

After a 2 week ride in Southern Ireland earlier this year where it rained every day except for two and on some days it was almost Monsoon style for most of the day (which you have to expect anywhere along the west coast), I'm convinced the best way to stay dry is the use of either a one piece or as I prefer a two piece waterproof suit over the top of your normal riding gear, using that method I was ok, the new Richa Goretex gloves I bought for the trip lasted 60 odd miles in heavy rain before water got through and once it had made it's way in they seemed to fill quite rapidly, as luck would have it I did still put in my waterproof over mits (I don't find these pleasant to ride in) and used these after my first soaking and from there on my hands stayed dry, as for boots, no chance of keeping dry feet so I found the next best thing between trying to dry the boots out each evening was the use of Sealskins socks, not the most ideal thing but far better than soaking wet feet everyday.

Early-ish next year I'm off to the Isle of Skye for a few days in and about the highlands again and there's no doubt I'll be taking the waterproof over kit, I've found it's the most reliable method of keeping dry, a bit of a pain to have to stow away and take everywhere when the weather is on and off but most reliable when the weather goes right off.

I bought the Rukka kit to replace my 7 year old HG Goretex which has been 100% waterproof up until earlier this year, funnily enough in Scotland as well, who would have thought! It still keeps the water out in most situations but as I have a lot of longer trips planned for the next few years, and I have the cash, I thought I would go for the best which is supposedly the Rukka Goretex Pro. To be fair, it fits perfectly, everything feels superbly well made and it's plenty warm. I am hoping (maybe a false hope) that I made a schoolboy error of leaving the pocket open so going to give it another go as soon as it rains hard again, don't think I'll need to wait long!

I have used Sealskins socks for years, always kept my feet dry although sometimes odd walking around in your own personal buckets of water with dry feet!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    I have used Sealskins socks for years, always kept my feet dry although sometimes odd walking around in your own personal buckets of water with dry feet!
    I've used Sealskinz for years in walking boots if out for a decent trek but don't tend to use them in the bike boots as quite thick and my Daytona Goretex pair have, so far, proved 100% waterproof.

Trev, wash it on a 30 with powder and no softener then tumble dry on low until heat until dry ... all ✅

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyblake View Post
    Trev, wash it on a 30 with powder and no softener then tumble dry on low until heat until dry ... all ✅
    It's only three weeks old, bought it at this years NEC bike show, so going to hope for heavy rain over Christmas (how unlikely is that?!) and see whether it leaks again. If so it will be going straight back for a replacement and hope that one is fine. To be fair, I know plenty who swear by Rukka kit so either I left the pocket open or I have a rare, poorly made piece in which case they will replace it. Just annoying that you spend a fortune on a shiny new piece of kit and it performs worse than the used, abused and well loved thing it's supposed to replace. I'm sure Rukka will sort it.

Yea that is bad Trev, i should think it's more than likely the pockets open isn't it, pop round with it on and I will give you Jet wash mate and see how it fairs !!!

I shouldn't think a pocket would matter. The Goretex membrane should be covering those areas too. I've got 12 year old Goretex boots from when I was in the Army that still don't leak and have taken some serious abuse.

At the price of Rukka kit I'd be returning it straight away.