Notices

Thread: Gopro Hero 5 vs Drift Ghost 4K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Gopro Hero 5 vs Drift Ghost 4K 
    Aidbox
    Deleted
    Last edited by Aidbox; 21-11-16 at 06:42 AM.

Hi AidBox,

I have a GoPro Hero 4 Black, and have been using a camera since i had my accident back in sept 2012.

The GoPro is good, but the standard battery only lasts for about 3 hours maximum, so if you were riding for longer than that you would need to carry spares or buy the bacpac addon in order to record for longer.

I tend to record at 1080p and 30 frames per second, and i have a 64 GB memory card, which will hold about 3 hours of footage as well before i need to clear that down.

The quality is really good, but you just have to bear in mind the above. There is an option to loop record the footage, but that isn't something i've really used it for.

Depending on your bike as well it can be awkward to find the right mount if your looking to mount it to the bike. I use it on my helmet, but only because i ride a sportsbike and the mounts aren't very useful, although you can get yoke mounts for them, and mirror mounts.

I don't have any experience of the Drift 4K but the waterproof mount on the GoPro is well waterproof, and offers good protection for the camera from everything.

Thanks,

Rob

Platinum Member
    I have a Veho muvi HD, and an Ion air pro. The Ion i can fit to the helmet, and it's fairly unobtrusive;

The Veho i only tend to use as a body cam, or mounted on the bike, as it's square and obvious, like the GoPro. This neither tells you anything, about the cams you are looking at, just imo on bullet cams vs square gopro alikes.

Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128 View Post
    I have a Veho muvi HD, and an Ion air pro. The Ion i can fit to the helmet, and it's fairly unobtrusive;

The Veho i only tend to use as a body cam, or mounted on the bike, as it's square and obvious, like the GoPro. This neither tells you anything, about the cams you are looking at, just imo on bullet cams vs square gopro alikes.
    All info is helpful. I think it's just that I see the Gopro and Drift in all the shops so they'd been the only two I'd really looked at. The size and shape of the Gopro does put me off a bit. I do like that it does time lapse as well though.

Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Robf View Post
    Hi AidBox,

I have a GoPro Hero 4 Black, and have been using a camera since i had my accident back in sept 2012.

The GoPro is good, but the standard battery only lasts for about 3 hours maximum, so if you were riding for longer than that you would need to carry spares or buy the bacpac addon in order to record for longer.

I tend to record at 1080p and 30 frames per second, and i have a 64 GB memory card, which will hold about 3 hours of footage as well before i need to clear that down.

The quality is really good, but you just have to bear in mind the above. There is an option to loop record the footage, but that isn't something i've really used it for.

Depending on your bike as well it can be awkward to find the right mount if your looking to mount it to the bike. I use it on my helmet, but only because i ride a sportsbike and the mounts aren't very useful, although you can get yoke mounts for them, and mirror mounts.

I don't have any experience of the Drift 4K but the waterproof mount on the GoPro is well waterproof, and offers good protection for the camera from everything.

Thanks,

Rob
    Thanks Rob. The quality of the footage on the Gopro seems really good and the Hero 5 is waterproof without the additional case. I need a good camera to use on and off the bike to justify that kind of spend.

I've always been a bit worried about putting anything on a helmet but I suppose if you come off they would probably be one of the first things to disappear.

Has made me a bit more wary getting hit last week, and also from an insurance perspective.

Platinum Member
    There are dozens of other cameras out there, i like the Ion for the waterproof housing, no other case needed, built in wifi, app for phone, full HD and cheap at £99. I wouldn't limit yourself to those two, also sound is pointless at speed on any cam, unless you mount it in the waterproof housing, then it is totally muted anyway. Unless you want it for v logging, then put a mic in the helmet. The mounting pads are 3m that come with most cams, no chance of them coming off anything. Also whilst these cams are great for insurance etc, they can work the other way if the filth pull you though
    Last edited by Mitch9128; 17-11-16 at 10:58 AM.

I used an SJCam SJ4000 for a while. More than good enough at 1080p. Just replaced it with an SJCam M10 which is the same thing in a much smaller housing. Either can be had for around £50 or about a tenner more for wifi versions.

Unless you are really in to making videos there is little point spending big on a 4k gopro.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    I used an SJCam SJ4000 for a while. More than good enough at 1080p. Just replaced it with an SJCam M10 which is the same thing in a much smaller housing. Either can be had for around £50 or about a tenner more for wifi versions.

Unless you are really in to making videos there is little point spending big on a 4k gopro.
    That too, the SJ is one of the highest reviewed gopro chinese copies, however make sure you buy from a reputable seller like gearbest or banggood , as there are even chinese copies of the sj now!

Aidbox
    Deleted
    Last edited by Aidbox; 21-11-16 at 06:41 AM.

Aidbox
    Deleted
    Last edited by Aidbox; 21-11-16 at 06:40 AM.