Notices

Thread: Clocks showing nothing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Clocks showing nothing 
    Hi,

Back in the summer i took the bike to work as per normal, parked up and went inside the office. I then come out at the end of the day ready to get on the bike, and i noticed the clock was saying it was only 12:53 PM so i was dreading a battery issue or something, bearing in mind i knew it was 5:16 PM.

I started the bike, and looking at the clocks i had no speedo, the rev counter hadn't gone round like usual and no coolant temp showing.

Ok i thought so i started the bike and set off a little way hoping that things would kick in. They didn't so i pulled over, took the seat off and preceded to start checking the fuses, nothing obvious there.

I tried to find what connectors i could by the side of the road, but couldn't find anything obvious there. So i ride home to decide what to do there.

The following day i strip the bike down check the connections to the Dash, speed sensor cable, everything including lifting the fueltank to check that any wiring i could see.

I stumbled across a post somewhere suggesting to check the outputs from some of the wires going to the dash, and they all appear to be doing what they are meant to be.

So my question after this long winded post is what the hell is wrong with my dash, the bike is my main mode of transport, and i have a GPS speed app i can run on my phone, and stick in a tankbag to monitor, and i'm generally able to tell roughly how fast i'm going.

When i start the bike you can roughly see some __ __ lines where the speed should be, and same with the oil temp. However the rest of the lights work, just not the speed/revs/temp does this mean the circuit board has given up the ghost. I don't want to go spending £100 for a new set of clocks if it's not going to be the case.

At the moment the only thing that works on the clocks is the status lights, i.e. indicators, neutral, FI, Key light.

Just to add, this is on a Honda CBR600F 2001 Fuel Injected model, and other than the clocks the bike seems to run fine.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Platinum Member
    i'd wager you'd need a spare set of clocks to test, more chance of getting an answer here http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-cbr-600/

possibly a bad earth connection. a set of clocks as Mitch says is an easy check but could set you back around £100, obviously depending on mileage they show. would only show if clocks are at fault...
    you are looking at a 15 year old bike so could be down to corroded connections or terminal connectors breaking up,
    this is why bike electric repairs can cost, breakages in looms, dirty connections, aged, heat damaged, vibrations are all problems on older bikes.
    I could tell tales of cars and bikes where simple faults can cause headaches and tears.

Platinum Member
    If you haven't got an Haynes, get one, open every connector, clean it, every earth, clean it, if after that still same, you will need spare clocks.

timely reminder. probably have the majority of manuals we will ever need

http://www.pdfmotomanual.com/

Ok so i've installed the new battery, and i have checked every connector going, that i have been able to get to, and they all seem fine, the speed sensor etc is sending the correct voltages to the clocks, but still nothing. However i have found another issue, that the sidestand no longer cuts out when its down and i put it into first gear. But i have check the switch and again this is working as it's meant to providing voltage when down and none when up or visa versa.

I have the haynes manual, but it is very vague around the clocks. Ideally if i could find someone that has the same bike and would be willing to loan me their clocks for an hour or so then i would be able to tell if it is the clocks or whether or not i need to look elsewhere. like the ECM.

It looks as though from tracing every single wire through the haynes manual that it could be either the ECM or the clocks as everything that isn't working both seem to have a connection to both.

So my question is, does anyone have a CBR 600 F between the age of 2001-2006 that would be willing to let me borrow their clocks for an hour, happy to uninstall/re-install? or anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Rob

Aidbox
    This is from CBR forum, page 3 on the thread might be helpful...

http://www.bikersoracle.com/cbr600/f...ad.php?t=21479
    Last edited by Aidbox; 09-11-16 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks Aidbox, I have been on there, and have been trying everything that has been suggested but to no avail, and i'm not entirely sure what i need to check for on the PCB, although i have had a look at this several times. I don't suppose anyone knows of somewhere i could have this looked at, thats fairly cheap.

Thanks,

Rob

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robf View Post
    Thanks Aidbox, I have been on there, and have been trying everything that has been suggested but to no avail, and i'm not entirely sure what i need to check for on the PCB, although i have had a look at this several times. I don't suppose anyone knows of somewhere i could have this looked at, thats fairly cheap.

Thanks,

Rob
    Sidestand issue is most likely clutch switch, it thinks clutch is in, so it lets you put sidestand down, maybe previous owner bypassed it? As for clocks, you could try Carmo https://www.carmo.nl/index.php?main_...isie_reparatie i know a few lads have used them for ECU repair on Fireblades.org as the HISS needs to see the same ECU, so you can't just swap it out.

Hi Mitch,

Could be that it's just stuck on the switch side, i will check and confirm at some point, as i have been the previous owner for the past 4 years, and not had an issue until the whole clock issue stuff.

I've ordered a second hand set of clocks, which i'm hoping will arrive in the next couple of days, and resolve the issue if not it's going to be a case of getting the ECM out, and trying to find a way of getting it repaired.

Although i would have expected the bike to stop working completely if there was a problem with the ECM as like you say that controlls the HISS and everything else.

Hopefully it is just the clocks and maybe a switch, and hopefully she will then be fully road worthy again.

Thanks,

Rob