Notices

Thread: Clocks showing nothing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi,
    If it is the clocks, and if you can take out the pcb board and drop it round then I can have a look at it for you and resolder any dodgy
    joints and see if that works. If it does then you can sell the extra set of clocks on ebay. I live in RWB, let me know
    if you want to do this,
    John

Hi JFranci1,

Thank you for the offer, i will let you all know whether or not this does resolve the issue, and if it does i will look to send my old clocks up to you, to see if they can be repaired. If not i've always got a pretty ornament

Thanks,

Rob

Platinum Member
    Carmo (link i posted above) remanufacture clocks and ECU's, if it is clocks, get them fixed and sell on, same for ECU.

Without a shadow of a doubt, providing the cost of repair doesn't exceed the re-sell value, or else there is little point. I think i contacted Carmo before over the clocks, and i was looking at about £80 for the repair, and so it was hardly worth it, when i could get second hand for same cost. But we will see.

Ok, so new clocks fitted, and everything is working jfranci1 are you able to pm me some details to arrange getting the old ones looked at?

Only remaining issue is the clutch switch, which i have proved is knackered now, but need to work out how to remove it, doesn't appear to have a screw underneath, but from my haynes manual it suggests that there is a clip. Not sure how to remove it as i tried everything i could think of.

I know i can get a genuine part from honda for less than £5 so not overly worried as it seems to be stuck in the on position so it always thinks the clutch is pulled, not an issue as i know when the clutch is pulled etc, and i have a lovely green light that tells me it's in neutral, and i know what to feel for if i started to let the clutch out with it in gear, and the stand down.

Thank you all for your assistance on this, i now won't be able to use the good old excuse "How fast were you going?", "Not a clue officer, speedos dead "

must be a built in problem with them as there is a section in the Honda workshop manual telling you how to remove the board!!
    unfortunately, if plod pulled you you wouldn't get away with it knowing it was faulty, firstly it would probably be a fine for defective machine then possibly a visit to the mot station for a re test, apparently ignorance is not an excuse.
    we tried it years ago, knowing what speed was achievable in which gear and with which gearing.

i'm not sure if there is a known problem, but there are several issues with the clocks going wrong.

Firstly the clocks hold the mileage of the bike.
    Secondly the clocks as one pcb are your speedo/rev counter, engine temp, oil pressure, and reserve fuel guage.

Which means the moment the circuit board goes you have none of that anymore. Whilst having digital clocks is nice it means if the PCB goes, you have to replace the whole thing, and the price from Honda direct is eye watering at around £1000 for a replacement unit.

Fortunately i managed to find a set of clocks which is only going to add a few hundred miles to my mileage, which isn't the end of the day for me. Especially as i've managed to get a cleaner set as well visually. So next thing for me is to get the old ones repaired, and then sell them on to someone else who may be in need. or keep them for when it happens again in the future...
    Last edited by Robf; 16-11-16 at 05:45 PM.

Hi Rob,

Easiest thing is to ring me (not sure how to PM?) 01793 850410.
    If you do that tonight between 6 & 6.15 pm, (or sometime over the w/e), and we can then arrange a suitable time for you to drop them off.

Cheers John

Hi John,

All dropped off, wasnt expecting the diversion on my way in, but thank you for offering to take a look.

Thanks

Rob