Notices

Thread: Second gear

Hybrid View

1. Second gear 
    Platinum Member
    Damn damn damn, changed oil&filter a couple of weeks back, the new oil made the clutch slip (was bike specific oil), queue a lot of slip and some clattering in second. Changed the plates friction&steel&springs for new oem, and new oil&filter. Now it's spot on with no slip, but second drops out with clattering around 4k revs, all other gears are fine with hard acceleration. So opinions, bent selector fork? Or worn dogs? I can drop the forks and selector drum out the sump and inspect/change with not much hassle, worn dogs is engine out, and split cases, so obvs with no garage that wouldn't even be looked at till next year now Using a mechanic is not feasible, £1k in labour on a sub £2k bike isn't gonna happen. Bike is a CBR929.

I'd be comparing the cost of parts and the value of your time against the cost of an engine from a breaker. Keeps the bike on the road and you could probably recoup a chunk of the cost selling the old lump.

Platinum Member
    If it was a 600, yeah no problem, but it's a desirable engine for kit cars etc There's a load of junk for sub £500, more like £1k for anything 'supposedly' decent. Selector forks are circa £50 ea, it will deffo be one of them, if it's worn dogs on second gear, i would expect 6th to be fubar too, as they mesh, even supposing 2 gears @ £60 each, £200 max for parts. Say a week to fix, if i have to drop engine, and i work from home most days, so that isn't an issue. Main problem now is waiting till spring, i have a 30m sq patio, but no heated garage I hae a car, we have 3 cars, but it's a shi_tter having use of no bike. I can drop the forks out through the sump, if i totally remove clutch side, gonna do that first, and see if a fork is bent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128 View Post
    If it was a 600, yeah no problem, but it's a desirable engine for kit cars etc There's a load of junk for sub £500, more like £1k for anything 'supposedly' decent. Selector forks are circa £50 ea, it will deffo be one of them, if it's worn dogs on second gear, i would expect 6th to be fubar too, as they mesh, even supposing 2 gears @ £60 each, £200 max for parts. Say a week to fix, if i have to drop engine, and i work from home most days, so that isn't an issue. Main problem now is waiting till spring, i have a 30m sq patio, but no heated garage I hae a car, we have 3 cars, but it's a shi_tter having use of no bike. I can drop the forks out through the sump, if i totally remove clutch side, gonna do that first, and see if a fork is bent.
    I've got a dry lockup you can use for a few weeks if it's any help, guessing a fair few miles from you as out Fordingbridge way but the offers there

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    I've got a dry lockup you can use for a few weeks if it's any help, guessing a fair few miles from you as out Fordingbridge way but the offers there
    Crikey, thanks, but yeah, a bit out of my parish.

Taking clutches and gearboxes apart is a serious venture for a biker. Have you looked on U Tube to see if someone has video'd it. I guess the Hays manual or Work shop manual says it is an 'expert' level job, with proper workshop facilities. Before you split the cases and the like try to identify the problem, if you can. Also, if you do take everything to pieces it is worth thinking about what else could be changed or upgraded ... before you re-assemble. Good luck. Richard

Finally ... if you are unable to do the work yourself, then the bike is likely to be an economic write-off .... but I guess you've worked that out. Sell the bike for parts and get a new bike ...
    It's not about my ears ... it's about my ride!

Platinum Member
    Plenty of write-ups on Fireblades.org, it doesn't phase me at all, i have dropped the engine before to helicoil a spark plug hole. There's a bloke on Ebay punting full gearboxes in immaculate condition specifically for this bike, so i'm gonna pull the trigger on £300 for one, rather than pull off specific gears and swap them out. However, yeah it will be done on the patio, in spring, under the gazebo, and on the picnic bench