Notices

Thread: At Last ! A petition worth signing and sharing !!!

1. At Last ! A petition worth signing and sharing !!! 
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/167887

Sign this one and send it out to all of your contacts, together we can make the roads a little safer to ride on and a lot less congested.

Platinum Member
    25 signatures, flying.

Why stop at caravans? what about heavy goods vehicles, old slow classic cars, vintage motorcycles and scooters, pushbikes, ladies with horseboxes... I could go on. A step too far for me I'm afraid. We all pay to use the road, and really, as motorcyclists how much do they hold us up?

Diamond Member
    I’m not sure whether this is a wind-up, or a genuine petition, but I’ll assume it’s the latter.

Before we start tearing lumps out of the other hamsters in the overly congested cage, perhaps we should climb over the fence and see how things look from the other side.

By way of an example, let me explain how this proposal would impact on the lives of my in-laws, should it ever reach the statute book. My father-in-law Bob has worked all his life since leaving school at 15, paying tax, and never once has he attempted to dodge vehicle excise duty in that time. Now in retirement in his early 70s he has a small modest caravan, probably worth about £5,000 maximum. Bob and Marge never holiday abroad, and normally visit different locations in the UK, caravanning about 5 times a year when finances allow.

With or without the caravan in tow, Bob won't drive at night because he says night driving strains his eyes, and as a consequence he suffers from headaches. I don't think I need to spell out what a devastating blow a daytime ban would be to my in-laws and thousands of other caravanners.

Instead of these divisive petitions stoking up animosity between different transport mode road users, we should be exploring ways to work together to ease the congestion on our roads network.

As Julie S says where would it all stop? Not one for me I'm afraid.
    Orange ones are faster, but red ones are more comfortable!

Aidbox
    The only issues I ever seem to have with other road users is down to a lack of observation and lack of any clear and timely indication (mostly on motorways).

It doesn't matter the speed or the size of the vehicle as long as I'm riding safely.

I'd rather sign a petition that found some way of stopping people using mobile phones whilst driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidbox View Post
    The only issues I ever seem to have with other road users is down to a lack of observation and lack of any clear and timely indication (mostly on motorways).

It doesn't matter the speed or the size of the vehicle as long as I'm riding safely.

I'd rather sign a petition that found some way of stopping people using mobile phones whilst driving.
    Totally agree!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

There is a great invention that you can buy in the US but is illegal to use in the UK.
    It blocks all mobile phone signals within a 10 feet radius once switched on. If all car manufacturers fitted them as standard big brother would be happy, it can even be configured to only allow emergency calls so wouldn't cause an issue should an RTA occur.

They are illegal in the UK because you can't restrict network coverage, however probably a good idea to reduce the risk of mobile phone related accidents.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/

Sorry, not one for me.

Caravans do not pose a problem for us bikers. I'd rather there was a ban on using mobile phones in motor vehicle (with serious penalties), having narrowly avoided an accident on my bike with Rachel on pillion. The driver was focussed on his computer/phone ... and not me, when he pulled out right in front of us at a junction .... Richard
    It's not about my ears ... it's about my ride!