I’m not sure whether this is a wind-up, or a genuine petition, but I’ll assume it’s the latter.

Before we start tearing lumps out of the other hamsters in the overly congested cage, perhaps we should climb over the fence and see how things look from the other side.

By way of an example, let me explain how this proposal would impact on the lives of my in-laws, should it ever reach the statute book. My father-in-law Bob has worked all his life since leaving school at 15, paying tax, and never once has he attempted to dodge vehicle excise duty in that time. Now in retirement in his early 70s he has a small modest caravan, probably worth about £5,000 maximum. Bob and Marge never holiday abroad, and normally visit different locations in the UK, caravanning about 5 times a year when finances allow.

With or without the caravan in tow, Bob won't drive at night because he says night driving strains his eyes, and as a consequence he suffers from headaches. I don't think I need to spell out what a devastating blow a daytime ban would be to my in-laws and thousands of other caravanners.

Instead of these divisive petitions stoking up animosity between different transport mode road users, we should be exploring ways to work together to ease the congestion on our roads network.