Notices

Thread: Riding in France????

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelers View Post
    you are driving along a road, through town, village or countryside...merrily plodding along at 30-50mph and come to a t junction on your right (the French side of the road). there is a car approaching the junction. he is joining you road, AND HAS RIGHT OF WAY OVER YOU.
    this is a damn stupid rule....
    you are on the main road and if the car is joining your road or crossing it and there is NO white line in front of him, HE DOES NOT HAVE TO STOP. YOU DO and give him right of way.
    if there IS a white line he has to cross to join then YOU have the right of way.
    Same in Germany

Quote Originally Posted by wheelers View Post
    you are driving along a road, through town, village or countryside...merrily plodding along at 30-50mph and come to a t junction on your right (the French side of the road). there is a car approaching the junction. he is joining you road, AND HAS RIGHT OF WAY OVER YOU.
    this is a damn stupid rule....
    you are on the main road and if the car is joining your road or crossing it and there is NO white line in front of him, HE DOES NOT HAVE TO STOP. YOU DO and give him right of way.
    if there IS a white line he has to cross to join then YOU have the right of way.
    I know this is still the case in France, Germany and Belgium, but I've only ever seen this in action once... however I have seen plenty of occasions, particularly going through towns that it's priority to the right, but on these occasions, I've always been presented with a solid white line across my lane and a Stop sign. To be honest it kind of makes sense as they are often blind turns on to what looks like the main drag, so this is in some ways safer.

one of our examples we see daily is an S bend that goes left then right, at the top of the left is a junction right into a lane. cars on the main road have to give way to this lane on the right, as we have when we come down it to the main road.
    coming out of the lane the road from the other half of the S is blind, so we have to inch out to make sure its clear. will have to try to take a picture one day.

Nearly crunched my car near Boulogne with one of the give way to the right junctions. Only HM The Wife's beady eye on my left saw the emerging car first. Then I saw the line in the main road ahead of me. I'll try not to do that again. When the law changed in France about banning radar detectors and sat navs which identify speed camera sites, they included the right to seize the vehicle as well as the device. Not sure they uphold this, but it could make for a pricey and difficult trip.

PRIORITE A DROITE does still exist in France, so beware!

As regards Calais, what is it like for bike, now. Surely the immigrants aren't interested in hopping on board your bike , and you can 'filter' past the road blocks? PS do not joke with the border control staff. One biker friend of mine , when asked what he had in his saddle bags replied ..... illegal immigrants .... and so they search his bags for them ....
    It's not about my ears ... it's about my ride!

cant say about Calais lately as we use the shuttle. as for our way we don't see them. there are a lot of bikers using the shuttle now, when you get off in Coquelle you are straight on the motorway when leaving the unloading ramps. we go across top and down via St Omer or sea side route Boulogne and Le Touquet. the advantage with the shuttle is you go through customs in Folkestone and that's it non stop when you leave.
    likewise coming back you go through customs and passport control, then into duty free, go to the holding area , off the shuttle in Folkestone and straight on the motorway. all official bits done in France. not like the old days of being searched in Dover docks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanboy View Post
    PRIORITE A DROITE does still exist in France, so beware!

As regards Calais, what is it like for bike, now. Surely the immigrants aren't interested in hopping on board your bike , and you can 'filter' past the road blocks? PS do not joke with the border control staff. One biker friend of mine , when asked what he had in his saddle bags replied ..... illegal immigrants .... and so they search his bags for them ....
    yep, they are amazingly humourless....