Notices

Thread: Riding in France????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Riding in France???? 
    I'm taking a trip down to Paul Riccard next month and I've been getting conflicting advice regarding the new laws.
    From what I've read, Hi-Viz is needed but breathalysers aren't enforced.
    Anyone been this year and able to shed a bit of light on this?

I'm off on sunday, I'll be taking hi-viz,helmet stickers and breathalyzers, because i have them,I ve read the french don't fine for lack of breathalysers or helmet stickers,but why take a chance for a few quid?...Not so happy carrying original documents for the bike,must remember to take spare glasses as carrying spares is a legal requirement...Other unusual laws, not allowed sat nav warnings for speed camera's or to wear in ear "headphones"....external speakers like bluetooth are ok....The roads are great, the people friendly and accomadating to motorcycle's, never had a problem using my halifax debit card in any garage or toll booth..,,have a great time

We came back from Rome via France on the bike, and no problems. Worth taking two credit cards just in case one doesn't work , for any reason. Helmet reflectors only enforced on French bikers.
    It's not about my ears ... it's about my ride!

we go over every 6 weeks.
    carry breathalyser, satnav with speed camera warning and dedicated radar trap spotters are out, square patches on 4 sides of helmet (never seen it enforced), will need a reflective jacket incase of breakdown, also no headsets/ear pieces for music or phone. also legal documents bike V5, insurance, topped up insurance.

have a read through the AA web page, they wouldn't publish anything incorrect.
    http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...-new-2012.html

things to remember, many parts are 30-40 years behind us, check out the French national holidays, everywhere closed,: supermarket filling stations are pay at kiosk and close for dinner at the smaller ones as do most shops, after closing time its pay at the pump fuel pump. Mondays are usually closed in many places, national holidays may not be Mondays but any dayin the week.
    BEWARE speed cameras. http://english.controleradar.org/fre...eed-camera.php in our area they are easily missed, a box longer and thinner than ours but may or may not have black and yellow stripe tape, allways grey usually hidden near a bush or Armco. on some high speed roads they are on posts 3metres up in the air and double the size of a full face helmet and look like one.

Also remember speed limits for small towns / villages may not be posted; The name of the village on the sign at the start of the village is the start of the speed restriction, the end of the speed restriction is the name of the village with a diagonal line across.

Thanks. Some good advice.

Platinum Member
    Don't come back through Calais.

Tom Tom sat navs are clever, they don't give speed camera warnings which is illegal but they give you a danger warning triangle instead. Strangely at same place as speed camera sites! Have been flashed many times in France when absent minded and so have fellow riders and they don't send them through for bikes. You don't need helmet stickers regardless of what has been said on this site. Warning triangle high viz and breathalysers are a must. But in a group we just carry one set between us for space.

Oh yes and those yellow diamond shapes with black stripes through them look them up on the Internet. There are plenty of places in the country still where a car pulling out of a junction has priority!
    Last edited by shiftyblake; 06-09-16 at 09:54 PM.

you are driving along a road, through town, village or countryside...merrily plodding along at 30-50mph and come to a t junction on your right (the French side of the road). there is a car approaching the junction. he is joining you road, AND HAS RIGHT OF WAY OVER YOU.
    this is a damn stupid rule....
    you are on the main road and if the car is joining your road or crossing it and there is NO white line in front of him, HE DOES NOT HAVE TO STOP. YOU DO and give him right of way.
    if there IS a white line he has to cross to join then YOU have the right of way.