Notices

Thread: Bike Replacement Suggestions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Bike Replacement Suggestions 
    Sooo bikey people, I'm thinking about trading up from my FZS600 at the end of the summer for something with a bit more torque. Got a couple of requirements: 1) Must be comfy for long rides 2) 80Nm+ torque 3) Almost upright riding position.

So far I'm thinking of trying a Speed Triple and from the other end of the spectrum a XJR1300 but I'd like about 5 bikes on the list to properly compare and I'm not in a rush. Any ideas?
    Vehicles:
    Car -
    2015 BMW F31 325d M Sport Touring Bike - 2011 Triumph Tiger 800

So much choice you have! I am not sure people can help you much, they will all tell you how wonderful their bikes are (me too) for that matter. A sports tourer can be comfortable for long rides, XJR 1300 is tried and tested. My friend has toured all over Europe on it, but you still wont last as long feeling comfy as you would on some adventure bikes like my Ducati Multistrada etc. Plus its a matter of how you "fit" the bike. The speed triple wont be as good as a faired bike for long comfy rides if you are doing lots of 60+ motorway work. Ask any "naked rider", they are more tiring to ride on long journeys than faired bikes.
    So I would stick to looking at CBF 1000 for boring but dependable, any adventure bike for comfort if you can fit it, avoid the rather more sports focused Sprint ST etc (more confy than sports bikes, but not as much as adventure).
    Counting down until my next ride out!

are you thinking of touring or just run outs?
    touring better off with a fairing, ST1100, sprint st, or BMW with luggage capacity ruling out race reps like zzr, gsxr .
    if you are just on days out bandit 12 or xjr1300 or cb are good.
    you need to check out your budget and wait til the end of the season

if looking at Ducati, Aprilia, BMW or more exotics, factor in higher spares, to some extent this includes Triumphs and Harleys

Platinum Member
    If you're looking at the xjr, then also look at GSX1400, bit more £££ but a great bike.

Also what is your budget? I tour, and use an R1200RT, which is ideal for 2 up, plus lots of luggage. You may not be a fan of BMW's, but one good thing about them is that you can get yourself down to a dealer and get test rides.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions so far, this along with the FB group has come up with the following ideas:

Yamaha FZ1
    Yamaha XJR1300
    BMW F800R
    BMW K1300S
    Kawasaki Z1000SX
    Honda VFR800

The R1200RTs are a bit big and heavy for my tastes, the K1300S is borderline and I've ridden my Dad's K1200GT which at least sets the tone for weight as that was too much.

Not a big fan of the adventure bikes, prefer to be a bit lower center of gravity than that.

I'll certainly consider the GSX1400 and CBF1000s, thanks for the suggestions!
    Vehicles:
    Car -

Try everything you can blag a ride on to see which you prefer. or at least sit on stuff in showrooms to get a feel of weight.
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Strangely enough, I think I'm leaning now towards a Triumph Sprint ST 1050. Seems to be ticking all the boxes I'm after plus that underseat exhaust looks very cool!

The plan is once I've got a solidified list of around 5 bikes, going to test the lot.
    Vehicles:
    Car -

don't know if the same as the earlier sprint st but things like the front indicator lens doesn't come available separately, they are £40 for the complete unit, spares were a nightmare and paint corrosion on ally parts lifting , hopefully better on newer generation.
    coming back from France today passed a nice xjr1300 on a French motorway cruising around 80, they allways look well looked after, Ive known around 10 12's and 13's and all have been kept up together. if you want to speed up handling on the xjr there is a mod to fit R1 front end that works.

Kao,
    If you can find a new bike to buy that would be a start. I went looking for a Sprint ST but quickly found out that a lot of bikes aren't available due to the impending new regulations. Causes somewhat of a headache as the rumours are that they may be discontinuing the Sprint as the market has fallen off for big tourers and they are gearing towards adventure bikes.

I was looking new due to not having the funds to buy a second hand one but the finance deal sounded good until I found out that if it's in the showroom buy it there and then.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/