Notices

Thread: OBDII reader and TuneECU for Triumphs

Threaded View

Hi Tom , good to hear you got to the bottom of the issues with the Sprint Do you remember my recent issues with the Bonneville EFI ? I'd run about 8 miles from cold and then it would just cut out , let it cool for 15-20 minutes and then it would run for about 4 miles and cut out . It was a right royal pain in my A**E !!! I changed the spark plugs , ignition coil unit , made up some new HT leads , fitted heat shield to the underside of the tank , fitted a new fuel pressure regulator to the pump assembly inside the tank , disconnected the tip over sensor , and scoured over every part of the intake assembly and MAP sensor hoses . It took about five weeks to nail it down , but got there in the end . It was the Ignition Sensor / Pick Up Coil .
    Up to a certain VIN the windings around the magnetic core in the sensor had a resistance value of approx 580 ohms , with fairly fine wire coated in enamel and my sitting for a prolonged period with the engine running was sufficient to heat up the oil enough to cook the sensor and degrade the coating on the windings . It was a warranty issue on some bikes umpteen years ago and Triumph sent out a technical statement advising the re-positioning of the sensor to reduce the gap between it and the rotor splines from 1mm to 0.8mm . They've since addressed the problem on bikes after a certain VIN by reducing the resistance of the sensor to about half of what it was and used heavier windings , less prone to damage .

Anyway , since experiencing this issue and the long winded process of finding the fault , I've been looking at getting a fault code reader and saw these on amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stoga-CAN-B...=obd+ii+reader and wondered which model you went for . also I downloaded the TuneECU software for my bike but it was stored in some sort of compressed , zipped folder and I had difficulty opening and installing it on the laptop . I'd like to pick your brains on that if you don't mind
    Last edited by DC; 11-06-16 at 12:49 PM.