Notices

Thread: More Anti-bike Efforts

Threaded View

Diamond Member
    Ye, I was reading about Harlow Council's criminalising of law abiding motorcyclists somewhere else - I wonder if we will see a challenge? We have witnessed a few legal challenges against local and central government rulings of late, and with some success for the challengers.

The court ruling overturning the penalty fine imposed on the parents who took their child on holiday during term time, being a case in point. I’m sure other LAs will be following this story closely to see if there is a legal challenge, and whether or not this unprecedented ruling, (as far as I am aware) is upheld.

After reading this thread article, I got to thinking how lucky I have been to have ridden bikes through the 70s and 80s. Much less traffic, not a camera on every street corner, and I could be wrong, but less anti-biking NIMBYs, and as a consequence, fewer over-zealous LAs, like Harlow. Without stereotyping, I think it is fair to say, that biking back then was more a way of life and bikes were the main mode of transport for many.

On a general point, I believe the future will see an increase in the persecution of minority groups like bikers, for two reasons. Firstly, there is not the public resources in place to tackle the offending minority, therefore easier and cheaper to impose blanket bans/sanctions. Secondly, IMO, Joe Public has become apathetic and subservient, and even when troubled by something, shuts it out hoping that someone else will question/deal with it.
    Last edited by redken1; 25-05-16 at 08:03 PM.