Notices

Thread: More Anti-bike Efforts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Platinum Member
    So to stop people doing illegal things, the council have taken out an ASBO, to stop them doing illegal things, that should work!

Ah Ha! I see .... how to prevent anti-social illegality! .... Richard
    It's not about my ears ... it's about my ride!

Diamond Member
    Ye, I was reading about Harlow Council's criminalising of law abiding motorcyclists somewhere else - I wonder if we will see a challenge? We have witnessed a few legal challenges against local and central government rulings of late, and with some success for the challengers.

The court ruling overturning the penalty fine imposed on the parents who took their child on holiday during term time, being a case in point. I’m sure other LAs will be following this story closely to see if there is a legal challenge, and whether or not this unprecedented ruling, (as far as I am aware) is upheld.

After reading this thread article, I got to thinking how lucky I have been to have ridden bikes through the 70s and 80s. Much less traffic, not a camera on every street corner, and I could be wrong, but less anti-biking NIMBYs, and as a consequence, fewer over-zealous LAs, like Harlow. Without stereotyping, I think it is fair to say, that biking back then was more a way of life and bikes were the main mode of transport for many.

On a general point, I believe the future will see an increase in the persecution of minority groups like bikers, for two reasons. Firstly, there is not the public resources in place to tackle the offending minority, therefore easier and cheaper to impose blanket bans/sanctions. Secondly, IMO, Joe Public has become apathetic and subservient, and even when troubled by something, shuts it out hoping that someone else will question/deal with it.
    Last edited by redken1; 25-05-16 at 08:03 PM.

Ken, your summary is correct I feel, look at all the bike shops that used to be in the area back in the 70's . compared to the few that are around now. same applies with petrol stations, greasy spoons even pubs. today bikes and cars are faster and more reliable so don't break down and need to stop on a journey. years ago a trip of 100 miles had no worries apart from if you were going to get there, now we travel to France in 8 hours door to door. many people had bikes for work transport, it was the cheap option. weather didn't matter, was it better in those days?
    the local Sutton Benger bobby was always looking out for us, the difference being he turned up at home in uniform and we had to answer to parents. if we were lucky we ran open meggies but didn't race around town, we usually had pubs or clubs to meet at, there were less cars on the road. to be honest its how rural France is at the moment, 30 or 40 years behind..
    we get so much grief from nimbys, every other village had a track of some description, scrambles, trials, mx or road, problem is land owners have sold off land and let townies in looking for peace. the older villagers took no notice, pressure from newbies and now solar farms has taken a lot of land where the yoof could let off steam.

blanket bans are easy to post, and saves plod time and resources as they only need to drive up and down and not have street walkers on patrol, it keeps the moaners quiet until they have trouble then a van load appears and all goes quiet, I miss the old days!!

With you 100% Ken. Shame Joe and Josephine Public can't think so deeply

I wish we were as bolshie as we used to be, don't know what's happened to this Country.

Spot on Ken ..... OMG I've just agreed with KEN! Richard
    It's not about my ears ... it's about my ride!

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redken1 View Post

The court ruling overturning the penalty fine imposed on the parents who took their child on holiday during term time, being a case in point. I’m sure other LAs will be following this story closely to see if there is a legal challenge, and whether or not this unprecedented ruling, (as far as I am aware) is upheld.
    Took my two youngest out of Hardenhuish&Kington st michael 3 days early last week, the flights to Croatia were £77 on Wednesday, and £320 on the Friday night, wrote to both schools explaining what i was doing, both said they were not happy, but under new LA guidelines, they would not follow it up, as up to 5 days in any 6 month period is ok, neither will be adversely affected by missing 3 days school

I hope there is enough anger at this injunction in Harlow to challenge it properly. It's ludicrous to raise an injunction to try and deter things that are already illegal. If you catch someone speeding or a bunch of youths driving around dangerously without insurance for example, just nick them.

The council did clarify that it wasn't intended to stop groups of motorists riding together in general but unfortunately whatever the intention driving in convoy is now illegal in Harlow. It actually applies to all motor vehicles as well, not just bikes.