Notices

Thread: Ride-Out Armbands ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Ride-Out Armbands ? 
    Diamond Member
    About twenty of us had a great ride-out to Wales on Sunday, great weather, brilliant roads and as always really good company.
    Since we have been on Facebook, we have attracted many new riders on our rides which is great, the downside though is that on a Sunday in Wales when there are masses of riders and other ride-outs happening, you get yourself behind someone and you have no idea if he is with us or not!
    Although on Sunday, the junction markers and back-marker did a great job (and as far as I'm aware none left their post early) we still managed to lose a group of five !
    I suspect they simply followed a rider or group of riders who weren't with us, it was very easily done.
    I came to a T junction with a pub on the side and bikers everywhere, I looked at the marker and didn't recognise him but assumed it was "one of us" (it was) but it might not have been.

Now I hate being regimented or told what to do or wear but I'm now wondering if an armband would be a good idea.

It doesn't have to be printed or flashing LED but just enough to be able to identify each other.
    They cost about £1.50 each so there is a cost implication, but I can't see anybody objecting to buying one from the club if it could be organised, if sold at the start of a ride-out the seller wouldn't want £30 worth of loose change!

I would only be for this if it was voluntary (don't like "rules") but I think it may be a good idea.
    Remember you are not buying one for yourselves, you are buying one to help others on the ride, and I know we all would want to do that ;-)

I'll now leave it up to you to tell me how wrong I am......
    :-)

Diamond Member
    PS... Please nobody even hint at suggesting different colours for different speed riders - I did this once, tongue in cheek, and was almost banned from the club, hung drawn & quartered, and hung from Trowbridge canal bridge :-(

I can still hear the insulting names I was called at the time - and that was from my friends :-)

Bonne idée mon vieux !! One group with whom I've had the pleasure bring armbands when the ride will be large(ish). These are distributed to peeps who are experienced JMs, and they filter back through the huddled masses and do most / all of the marking.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

It's a good idea and one that I would happily support. As you mention it can be pretty tricky sometimes to work out if the marker, or other bikers are with your group or not, so this seems like a simple solution to me.
    Orange ones are faster, but red ones are more comfortable!

I think it's a good idea - happy to get some ordered and then sell at rides.
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

Diamond Member
    I think the back marker is covered and not a problem, I have found some here: http://www.kova-promotional-products...s/KA00001-0001

Burbler - We can ALL be RoadGods :-)

:-)

Good idea , I would be happy to pay a couple of quid for an armband and the excess could go to club funds .

Diamond Member
    All a bit too formal and regimental and not for me. But I understand the reasons for the proposal and it is just my personal opinion. If it is the democratic will of the Wiltshire bikers to wear armbands then that is fair enough and I respect that.

had a great ride out sunday,one of the five that split from main group,turned out we all live in warminster,so made new friends

Seems like the best way, it's would definitely be for the benefit of the group, so I wouldn't have any problems wearing one.