Notices

Thread: One man's racehorse is another man's donkey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. One man's racehorse is another man's donkey. 
    Diamond Member
    Rant time. This one aimed at a MCN journalist.
    Have you ever listened to the commentary of a football match or boxing bout on the radio, and then after watching it on TV later, thought, what sporting event was the commentator at?

Well, I was reading a short review on the new offering from Yamaha, the MT-10. The following MCN extract made me think, what bike was the journalist riding? ”The spec sheet certainly suggests that it will go a long way to eradicating the memory of the disappointing FZ1.” “Disappointing FZ1?” I accept that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't recognise his negative criticism leveled at the FZ1.

I can guess what you are thinking - I am being defensive because I own one. Not at all, rarely have I kept a bike this long (6 years) during my 40 years of riding bikes. Yep, it is that good. Of course it has flaws - what bike doesn't, but it is a brilliant all round do it all motorcycle.

I know it is unfair to draw a comparison between all (many) the bikes I have owned over that period, because technology moves on all the time. However, taking this factor into account, it is up there with the best of them, including the iconic CBR 600 and pre VTEC VFR I owned. Awesome power, excellent sharp handling and brakes, not to mention all day comfort in a well put together quality finish. It is many things, but never a ‘disappointment’
    Last edited by redken1; 12-04-16 at 08:39 PM.

I had an FZ!, loved it to bits. Did everything I wanted it to
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Platinum Member
    Perhaps they were comparing it to the older model?

Got to admit I love my FZ1...ticks all the boxes for me!
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

I'm speechless Ken....you still read MCN?! 😂
    Lazy journalism at it's finest.
    Surprised they didn't try to blame the poor performance on the government targeting bikers.
    I've never ridden an FZ1 but have heard great things.
    Often you'll find journalists write like this just to promote a reaction from the readers.
    We're all talking about it now and any publicity is good publicity?
    So in the interest of evening things out:
    MCN is cr*p and I wouldn't use it as toilet paper!

Just ****e journalism. Now he had said Deaville I would have agreed !

Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltshire builders View Post
    I'm speechless Ken....you still read MCN?! 😂
    Lazy journalism at it's finest.
    Surprised they didn't try to blame the poor performance on the government targeting bikers.
    I've never ridden an FZ1 but have heard great things.
    Often you'll find journalists write like this just to promote a reaction from the readers.
    We're all talking about it now and any publicity is good publicity?
    So in the interest of evening things out:
    MCN is cr*p and I wouldn't use it as toilet paper!
    Dan, I just typed in MT10 reviews on the search engine to read what the bike press had to say about the new model. To be honest, I tend to place more credibility on owners' comments. Good excuse for a rant though lol

All the press have to be in the pockets of the manufacturers to some degree or they would have nothing to sell their magazines on so they are going to have to big up the new bike, I'm sure it's brilliant (a bit like the washing powder adverts "our best ever" well it would have to be wouldn't it? no point in going backwards, or in making anything new if it isn't going to be better)

Remembering the project FZ1 that Fast Bikes did (changed brakes, suspension both ends etc) I think what they may be getting at was people were led to be believe before they bike was launched they it would be a naked R1 and it wasn't, that doesn't mean there was or is anything wrong with the bike. Looks like they've been lazy as everyone else says and just regurgitated what was said at the time. If you are happy with your bike who cares?

Of course it all depends on what the journalist originally 'expected' of the FZ1, which would then explain exactly what he was disappointed about! The statement in its self doesn't actually say that it was a bad bike (although it's implied). Like others I have known many happy owners who say it's a great bike. Most journalists seem to want every bike to ride like a track bike and criticise anything that doesn't, whereas most of us probably decide whether a bike is good or bad or one for us or not on a much wider range of factors. The moral of this is don't believe what's written in magazines but go and try for yourself and make up your own mind.
    Orange ones are faster, but red ones are more comfortable!

Agreed, Jed
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”