Notices

Thread: safety video

1. safety video 
    https://www.facebook.com/thebikerbro...9933424456783/

can't see a safety section on the index so i hope it's ok to post here, struck me as a horribly realistic reminder of what we all face on a daily basis.

Not quite the same but today, taking the dog out, I saw this guy in an estate type car reversing out onto a turning head - a woman was crossing the turning head as there is a footpath that runs through it and the guy didn't see her, if it wasn't potentially serious I'd say it was funny but he gradually forced her across the road against a fence then went forward and off to work, he clearly didn't realise what he had done and had a tense look like I used to when I had to go to work and didn't want to haha. The woman just carried on like nothing had happened.
    Last edited by Mr Bignall; 12-04-16 at 11:25 AM.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bignall View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/thebikerbro...9933424456783/

can't see a safety section on the index so i hope it's ok to post here, struck me as a horribly realistic reminder of what we all face on a daily basis.
    I rode in to the office today, 80 miles, didn't crash, no-one pulled out on me, am i the only one?

Diamond Member
    lol... I agree with Mr Bignall (in part) there are some tossers out on the road, but like you Mitch, I rarely have people doing life threatening things to me, in fact I can't remember the last time did. Oh yes, about two months ago when someone ran over my foot when I was stationary when he tried to bully me to stop very slow filtering (and he succeeded too) lol. Not life threatening but a little annoying!

I think it's easy to fall into the mind-set of "everybody's trying to kill me - bikers against the world" when in fact (I think) apart from more traffic on the road now, things are about the same as always.
    People still quite often let me pull out and often move over when they see me behind them.

My Top Safety Tip is to ride everywhere like a bat out of hell so as to reduce the likelihood of somebody running into the back of you :-)

Here's a young Gerry trying to mow down a copper but missing.

Attached Images
    I only have one viceā€¦I lie.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post

My Top Safety Tip is to ride everywhere like a bat out of hell so as to reduce the likelihood of somebody running into the back of you :-)
    There is some merit in that, car drivers tend to move out of the way much faster when they see some flailing madman flying at them at warp speed.

I got knocked off in 2011, busted shoulder/ribs/wrist, the van driver didn't see me, but it's unlikely he, or any other myopic van driver would be coming onto a bike site to see 'think bike' videos either, post it on Pistonheads, see how much they appreciate it.

Diamond Member
    Burbler: The good old days - when policemen let themselves be targets by standing in the middle of the road :-)

Mitch: "flailing madman riding at warp speed" That must be the other Gerry Simpson on here :-)

Sounds a painful one mate !

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Sounds a painful one mate !
    The painkillers were great, funny thing was, it wasn't till i came off them as i wanted a drink, i realised i had a few broken bones in my wrist too

I'd feel a lot safer on two wheels if so many of the responses to the video were "Wow yes. That is a good reminder to always double-check the way is clear" and not "Who do bikers think they are preaching to us drivers?". I stupidly found myself replying to one idiot pointing out the statistics and then stepped away when I saw there was no reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyzor View Post
    I'd feel a lot safer on two wheels if so many of the responses to the video were "Wow yes. That is a good reminder to always double-check the way is clear" and not "Who do bikers think they are preaching to us drivers?". I stupidly found myself replying to one idiot pointing out the statistics and then stepped away when I saw there was no reasoning.
    Absolutely. I'm sure psychologists have a name for that. Something about not associating with the subject.
    It's almost like a preemptive excuse before they actually kill someone.
    People rarely like admitting they're in the wrong.