Notices

Thread: Winter in the UK and effect on motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Winter in the UK and effect on motorcycling 

yes i know most of you probably front out the winter, especially those that commute but it isn't always the nicest ride, spray from other vehicles, cold hands having to be warmed on the cylinders at traffic lights and the shorter days with blinding headlights from newer cars or people who leave their spotlights on. Any experiences? I knew a bloke who used to pack out his bike gear with old newspapers on a long winter run that he used to do, for insulation of course. Me, I tend to go through protracted withdrawal symptoms, after all, the opportunities for leisure rides become more limited and less fun - on getting to your destination things are often that much more bleak in the winter period with less bikers to talk to.

sorry i haven't got the hang of image size edits, any advice appreciated.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Mr Bignall; 08-04-16 at 07:07 PM.

Platinum Member
    For me, it's about enjoyment not necessity , i don't enjoy winter riding at all, car is THE solution.

I only started riding in August (a little 125) and I made it to Christmas before the bike went away and she didn't come back out again until March.
    Even then it was rather cold in the mornings and did take some of the fun away from it but boy did I miss it!

I will confess, the bike did spend an evening in the hallway just don't ask how that happened...

I ride all year round, going by MOT certs about 55k miles on the current bike in the last 2 years.

Some conditions are and always will be crap, ice and 40+ mph wind gusts spring to mind, as they are unpredictable and force you to be on guard all the time (I have a video somewhere of me getting hit by a gust on the seven bridge strong enough to put me across 2 lanes). However with the mostly mild winters we've been having you can remain comfortable and enjoy yourself. Stupidly bright headlights/fog lights/always on full beam/etc........... I could write a 10 page rant about that and still not be satisfied but that's not a condition of winter it's a condition of thoughtless amoebas sat in tin boxes, probably the same ones that SMIDSY bikers come summer.

Alot of it is prior prep.

For the bike it gets a really deep clean before Winter and everything gets layered in ACF50, other than wiping down the fairings/wheels and regularly blasting out the calipers with brake cleaner it doesn't see another deep clean till end of Winter. I like to think this approach works, for a 26 year old hack about to go round the clock my bike has very little corrosion, I often see bikes a 1/4 of it's age and mileage that look far worse.

For me it's about the correct kit to stay warm/windproof. Little things like wearing a thin pair of cotton gloves under your bike gloves can be the difference between miserable with cold fingers or happy with warm hands.

From a enjoyment riding perspective roads during the winter are emptier, less tits with speed guns and the cafes are quieter. Obviously you need to pick your days based on the weather but there's fun to be had.

Good replies there - thanx keep them coming

My winter ride enjoyment is proportionate to the gear i wear and confidence. I ride all year (but prefer Spring) 10 - 14 degrees, but I have heated gloves to use, thermals if needed etc. I always wash my bike and check tyres etc. I wear very decent rain proof textiles, gloves and boots. I feel as happy cornering in the wet as I do the try. Rain cleans my kit !

I ride all year round..I use the bike not only for recreation..I love riding the bike..but also for the work commute.
    I have a car, but my wife works too and she has first "bagsy" as she doesn't ride.
    I use base layers, and have a waterproof oversuit if it's wet. It's only 3 miles each way though... so not a real hardship!
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

Winter never stops our group.
    We do just as many rides in the winter season as we do in summer only the rides are somewhat shorter...

Platinum Member
    3 miles?! Get a push iron.

Aidbox
    I've got a work van and my only other transport is my bike. I do the same with the ACF50 at the end of summer.

Only passed my test last year but was doing a 160 mile round trip on a YBR 125 every weekend right through the winter last year. I did stop occasionally and warm my hands on the engine.

I did North Yorkshire this January which I think was a 300 mile in a day ride. Coming back was torrential rain and 70mph winds, took me nearly 10 hours but the heated grips and the gear I've got were great. It tended to be idiots not dipping their lights that made the last 50 miles so much more difficult. Having the right gear makes such a difference.

Also, riding in the winter makes me appreciate the summer more