Notices

Thread: Rat/Bobber/Chop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelers View Post
    YX's were only around for 4 years so chassis parts may be hard to find, the motor on the other hand is a de-tuned fz600, which could actually beat the fz up to 4th gear.
    the 'radian' was probably brought out to fill a gap in the market as a cheaper alternative to the race rep FZ , being cheaper to make with drum brake rear and no fairing. Ive not heard of any problems but was probably a 550 bored out so not that over big to make un reliable. the YX dropped out of favour when race reps became desirable also around the time when 400cc grey imports were coming in by the container full being a cheaper option for the race rep speed merchants.

most of my formative youth spent in Sutton Benger , Seagry and living in Christian Malford. Bikes were a necessity.
    Thanks for the info. I had the same thing growing up in a village and needing a bike until I joined the army at 17, so only had a couple of 50's and a H100, until last year

1952 AJS 500 single, 1970s forks, A7 BSA rear suspension, Chopper in the 1980s currently a rat black bobber. Not used in about 5 years. Simple machine all around....

Has to be a Honda Benly, picked up my first one for £50 and hardtailed it. I knew nothing about wiring but this bike taught me loads.

Before and after....

Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by House View Post
    Has to be a Honda Benly, picked up my first one for £50 and hardtailed it. I knew nothing about wiring but this bike taught me loads.

Before and after....

That looks great House !

I like the Benly's as a straight bike as well. What size engine is it?

That was a later 12v 200cc which was ideal as they use the CDI ignition so no battery required. I liked the fact it had drums front and rear and loads more aluminium which could be polished. There's a lot of fabrication work involved when going down the hardtail route. Some bikes can look just as nice without it. Check out LBC (low budget customs) on Facebook, they churn out some nice stuff.

Chatterbox
    Nice work House
    Everything else is shyte

Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by House View Post
    That was a later 12v 200cc which was ideal as they use the CDI ignition so no battery required. I liked the fact it had drums front and rear and loads more aluminium which could be polished. There's a lot of fabrication work involved when going down the hardtail route. Some bikes can look just as nice without it. Check out LBC (low budget customs) on Facebook, they churn out some nice stuff.
    My welding's not too bad, knowledge of electrics is a lot better than it used to be. Engine set up and tuning etc are a bit more of a worry, but I have fixed up a few old cylinder mowers which were quite nippy

Norton/Villiers F12 (BSA Sloper), on a Ransome's 20"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujwvm69tuf...34.27.mp4?dl=0
    Last edited by Aidbox; 09-04-16 at 05:33 PM.

Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Aidbox View Post
    My welding's not too bad, knowledge of electrics is a lot better than it used to be. Engine set up and tuning etc are a bit more of a worry, but I have fixed up a few old cylinder mowers which were quite nippy

Norton/Villiers F12 (BSA Sloper), on a Ransome's 20"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujwvm69tuf...34.27.mp4?dl=0
    Yeah man.

Bolt a seat to it, sorted
    Everything else is shyte