Notices

Thread: Nick Blackwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Nick Blackwell 
    Aidbox
    Hope local lad from Trowbridge pulls through after being put in to an induced coma after last night's fight with Chris Eubank Jr. It was a great fight and even though Nick was out boxed it shows what a tough fighter he really is. Apparently suffered a bleed on the brain and currently in hospital.

Hope he recovers quick with no problems, and I hope Eubank gets to face Billy Joe Saunders soon.

Nick is a close family friend, a wonderful guy, who is totally dedicated to his sport.
    I've spent many evenings with him at family parties as he's a very close friend of my eldest daughter.
    It broke my heart watching the fight on TV, I was willing the ref to stop the contest.
    wishing him a speedy and full recovery.
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Toph View Post
    Nick is a close family friend, a wonderful guy, who is totally dedicated to his sport.
    I've spent many evenings with him at family parties as he's a very close friend of my eldest daughter.
    It broke my heart watching the fight on TV, I was willing the ref to stop the contest.
    wishing him a speedy and full recovery.
    I do think it should have been stopped sooner, tough call cus he's a tough fighter and I'm sure he would have boxed on with his left eye shut. I hope they get him up on his feet soon !

GWS Nick
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

My thoughts are with this young fella..

Diamond Member
    Just watching this on the news.
    Everytime a boxer is seriously hurt in the ring, the whole boxing fraternity go on the defensive, making statements like, "no one wants to see a boxer get hurt in the ring." Let's get real here, what do they think is going to happen when two fit, strong men in their prime, hit each other around the head as hard as they can for over half an hour?

Hope the young local lad makes a full recovery.

It's a very rare occurrence Ken.
    There are more serious injuries and death in football and rugby..and yes Motorcycle racing.

Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by wasted_ace View Post
    It's a very rare occurrence Ken.
    There are more serious injuries and death in football and rugby..and yes Motorcycle racing.
    It is a rare occurrence that someone gets seriously hurt and as you say wasted_ace there are many serious injuries and worse in other sports.

I saw Chris Eubank Sr & Jr on TV yesterday and whilst I'm no fan of Eubank Sr and his arrogance I do think the interviewer was really unfair to be trying to blame Eubank Jr for this outcome. He was doing what he's paid to do and Nick's corner and the referee were allowing the fight to continue. You could hear Eubank Sr trying to get the fight stopped and even telling his son to back off a bit. The referee should be the one facing an enquiry.

Just hope that Nick does make a full recovery.

gws Nick, good for David Haye promising 10 percent of his next purse to Nicks benefit collection.

Diamond Member
    When comparing short and long term injuries sustained in different sports, the conclusion reached is dependent on what factors are taken into account.
    There is overwhelming evidence that repeated impacts to the head causes long term damage to the brain, which can go undetected for years. In fact, Dementia pugilistica, commonly referred to as punch-drunk syndrome, occurs in people who have suffered multiple concussions, particularly in boxers, hence the name, and it commonly manifests itself as dementia - or declining mental ability - along with problems with memory, and Parkinsonism, which is characterized by a lack of coordination.

Boxers who suffer from this condition will commonly experience tremors, slowed movement, speech problems and confusion. Dementia pugilistica frequently goes undiagnosed, due to the fact that in most cases it won't begin to cause symptoms for many years or even decades.

Moreover, hands are not built to stand up to the beatings they take during a career of boxing. It is common for retired boxers to develop symptoms of osteoarthritis in their hands, which is severe in many cases.

Of course, like boxing there is a huge risk of severe injury in motorcycle racing, but there is a fundamental difference - the aim of racing is to stay on the bike and try to win the race. In contrast, the aim in boxing is to beat your opponent by hitting him as hard as you can, preferably by knocking him out or by a stoppage due to injury.

If boxing is not about hurting your opponent, why do managers/promoters study videos of opponents’ fights to look for weak areas to concentrate on hitting? And when an opponent is cut or injured during a fight, you can often hear the corner man telling the fighter to keep hitting him in the damaged area. IMO it is ridiculous to pretend that you can try to knock someone out without intending to hurt them. A bit long winded, but that is basically my point.
    Last edited by redken1; 30-03-16 at 10:31 PM.